1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Situation .... Need Feedback, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by newlooklandscp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey Guys I was wondering if I could get some input on the situation that I have, so here it is:

As of right now, 2005-2006 Snow Season, I am spreading about 2500lbs of salt every time we go out. All my contracts state that we salt NO matter what the amount of snow is, so ass you can see we are going out a lot. Right now we are using 2 SnowEx 1075 Spreaders and 50lb bags. The bags are getting costly and I don’t think I am making the money I should be. So my question is, is it time to switch to bulk salt and purchase a tailgate spreader for my F450 Dump? But here is the kicker, I have a place to store bulk salt but nothing to load the truck with. Is it possible to just load up my truck with 2-3 tons, use 1 ton every time I go out and leave the rest in there for future? But doesn’t it turn to rock? So what does anyone suggest, what do you do?

Thanks for the Input.
    Ken – New Look Landscaping

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

dont you have a supplier in the area that can load you up on demand....that is open 24/7 durrining the winter?

that would be the ideal situation....not sure if your truck is plumbed for central hydro which is required for an undertailgate spreader....if not thats another 3500-4000 dollars on top of the 2200 for the acctual spreader....if you cant justify that then i would look into a v-box salter...there relativly inexpensive (3k) and will hold about 2 tons.

Hydro is definatly better and its so nive to not have to worry about a gas engine starting, but it is costly

As far as keeping salt in the dump truck it all depends on where you plan on keeping it while you are not using it....if you are keeping it indoors in a heated room i would say no problems, but if its going to be indoors or outdoors with no heat i would say no way....its not worth the time it takes to break-up a load once it hardens and plus all that product is unusable.

As far as savings go....Around me bagged salt is $2.80 for a 50# bag bought in pallet quatity...so you are looking at $123.00 per ton using bagged products

now with bulk i get it for $50.25 a ton.....so your looking at a $72.00 savings per app....not to even mention the labor savings of not having to tear open all those bags...so lets say my average # of applications in my area per year is 30 (you might have more or less not sure but you can figure that out im sure) so you would save yourself $2160 per season if you were using those #'s....thats a pretty good reason for me to say that its time for a change..dont you think :)

3. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Yes its time for a change, plus I hate moving all those bags. I am looking and going to call around to find a 24/7 supplier but as of right now I dont know of any. I am also looking into either the buyers poly V box thats going for $3000.00, it holds about a ton and is electirc and wont rust. Or the Truckcraft Tailgate Spreader for $5000.00, which is also electirc so no central hydraulic system is needed on either. What do you think? Im not sure how fast my snow removal part of the business will grow in the next couple of years so .... the only restriction is the Vbox only holds a ton and the tailgate spreader has none (I can prob get 2-3 tons in my turck with that opition). So I also do not want to get stuck having to purchase something new again next year. Any thoughts? Do you know of anyone who plows in the chicago area that might know of a supplier? Also bags are going for about $3.00 ea and when I use bags I tend to stay light on the salt so I dont use as much but I also dont want to piss of the customers by spreading to light. So I think the bulk with the V box is a better choice, one less labor, two I can put a little more salt down and the customers would be happy.

Anyone else have any input?

Ken - New Look Landscaping

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

If you are looking to expand your company over the next several years that i would probably opt for the central hydro system and the under the tailgate spreader..

im not sure if you do grounds maintenance at all but we do and one of the nicest features of the under the tailgate is that we are able to remove 2 cleves pins disconect our hydro connectors and have full use dump bed for mulch jobs in the spring and then be able to go back to salting at a moments notice.

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

our truck was upfited near chicago at Team Truck Sales in Lemont.....good people over there would deffinatly do business with agian......as far as a supplier there has to be one just keep looking......i have like 10 in a 20 square mile radius around my house

6. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Thanks for your help. I posted to see if anyone new of any in the chicagoland area if that doesnt work I'll make some phone calls. I think i need to get me a** in gear. Hopefuly everything works out. Thanks Again for your feedback and time.

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Lets see.... (2500# / 50#bags = 50bags) ... and at $35 per 100#, that comes to (tick, clank, bong) $875 bones. Not bad for a pallet of salt that costs $175. Thats a gross profit of $700 smacks each time out just on salt.

Im not sure I see how bags are "getting costly"

Maybe your not charging what you should be for salt.

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

50 bags and your going to bulk i run 400 hundred bags at a time and its with mini spreaders.With bags you dont need a loader or a bulk storage place or any of the EPA regs.How is i costing you more ? 50 bags is one skid buy more so you have more on hand to apply ,chemicals make the money quick money and less wear on the trucks .....,

9. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

The situation is I like to have about half of my contracts pay monthly fees and the other half pay on a per time basis. The main issue is that the accounts that are the monthly fees are the ones that seem to be using up most of the salt (Hotels, etc.). I dunno if it just me pushing the numbers wrong or just the part that doesnt want to lift 2500lbs in salt bags anymore. It takes time to load up the SnowEx spreader which I could maybe cut down time buy using a Vbox.