1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting sidewalks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Krimick77, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

Trying to work out some numbers for salting 2500 linear feet (7500 sq ft) of sidewalks. I estimate 190 lbs or 25lbs per 1000 sq ft. using my Epoke drop spreader. I've only had two salting events this year and both times were light ice (2 mil) and mild temps(-5). and I used 180 lbs both times. Both times the walks were reduced to water in 15-20 minutes

Would that amount of salt melt in most situations? I can imagine ever needing double that, but I don't have a lot of experience salting.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A 50# bag of ice melter, such as calcium chloride, cal-mag, potassium acetate, etc., covers about 3000 sq. ft.. this is on a shoveled walk with single digit through teen and up temps. Now, if you have some hardpack, such as trampled snow or froze up surface ice that is somewhat thick, you will use a bit more. The beauty of using this stuff though, is that it keeps the next snowfall from binding to the surface, making the next shovelingor cleaning relatively easier.