1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Green Boys Lawn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Green Boys Lawn

Green Boys Lawn Junior Member

What do you guys use to salt sidewalks? I was thinking a drop spreader might work. Thanks

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

The Co. I worked for uses Walk behind spreaders. I don't think taht the salt will go through a drop spreader.

3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

sidewalk spreaders

I use a walk behind Scott's lawn spreader with plastic hopper. Cheap, easy to fix, and will hold a bag and a half of salt. If I was stupid and did not hose it off after each use I throw them out at the end of the season, otherwise I get a couple of years out of them!

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use a broadcast spreader with a piece of old rubber floor mat as a deflector.
    this way you can control the width of the pattern

john

5. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea Doc.

6. gino8111

gino8111 Junior Member

Just bought a walk behind today. Store agent recommended not getting a drop spreader because it clogs up too easily

7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

5 gallon buckets.

we fill 6 5 gal buckets with calcium chloride per plow truck (20 on sidewalk crew trucks) and just throw it out by hand... too much of a hassle to carry around a spreader. quicker to throw it right out of the buckets.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thats how we do it too. I got tired of hauling a push spreader around.

9. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

Buckets here to, but I also use a hand held Scotts Broadcast seeder. The little green one with the little hand crank, whole thing is about 12" long and 6" wide and has a wrist brace so it's not that heavy and does a great job for chloride, wouldn't use it for salt it may be to big. Real simple to adjust the pattern too, just don't crank so dang fast.

10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Buckets may work on residential but my commercial take from 1- 3 bags for the walks.
    A cheap (75.00) bought a scotts broadcast has a deflector that u can flip on or off on the fly. Only thing we have to do is fit a rubber tube around the plastic wheels.

11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Plus, when the spreader tire gets on ice it just slides and won't spin out the material.

12. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

That's the same set up I use too. Works good and only a small investment. Had mine for several yars now. Nothing in it to corrode.

13. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

We use 4 of the new Salt Dogg walk behid spreaders with 4 deflector shields and the all new stainless steel gear box...holds 100 lbs of salt. Purchased at http://ealandscapesupply.com/saltspreaders for only $165.00

14. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care Junior Member
    from vermont

Don't buy a SaltDogg walk behind spreader

I bought a SaltDogg stainless steel spreader with the hopes that it would be rugged and save me aggrevation. After shelling out almost $400, I get the thing home and the gearbox is missing! I had to drive back to the dealer, 25 minutes away to pick up a spare. :gunsfiring:

Making matters worse, in the instructions is says not to use the agitator when running ice melt throught it because it can kill the (flimsy) gearbox. I bought it to run ice melt product through it! If you don't use the agitator pin it doesn't work (at least with rock salt). :angry:

Adding insult to injury, there is an error in the directions that confounded me for about an hour. The thing took me about three hours to put together. :realmad:

The worst of it though is when I went to yank it out of the truck by the handles, they twisted (racked). I paid the extra money for SS hoping it would last, but it's basically a large homeowner spreader.:mad:

We'll see how it works through the season, but my advice to you all is to look elsewhere if you are looking for a spreader to spread ice melt product.

Adam

15. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Good feedback Adam...However it sounds like you got one of last years models....WB200 they had a lot of problems with the gear box....This year has been re designed with a stainless steel open gear case that works great and $400.00 for the unit is way high. I think http://ealanscapesupply.com/saltspreaders.htm sells the stainless model for 260.00.

Make sure you are getting the WB200A plus if you have a stainless I know it is last years model because the new ones wont ship for another week.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

17. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care Junior Member
    from vermont

SaltDogg tips

Code:
    However it sounds like you got one of last years models....WB200 they had a lot of problems with the gear box....This year has been re designed with a stainless steel open gear case that works great and $400.00 for the unit is way high. I think http://ealanscapesupply.com/saltspreaders.htm sells the stainless model for 260.00.

Make sure you are getting the WB200A plus if you have a stainless I know it is last years model because the new ones wont ship for another week.
    Thanks Snoflo for the tip on the gear box. I may need to buy a replacement if we ever get any more snow. Somebody told me that we haven't seen a winter in VT this warm since 1901!

18. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I run the Lesco Stainless steel with side deflector.

19. You might want to check out the new Earthway 2130 highoutput spreader. It has a deflector for the sidewalks. It can also be used for those who landscape to apply seed mulch(Penn Mulch). I have one this year and I like it. It also has 2 supports to hold it up which is nice. Holds 65lbs I think. It costs around $260 or so..We were using the agrifab 150pro? and they work great as well for sidewalks but they can't be overloaded or they will tip over. I had to weld ours to keep it from tipping. Hope that helps.

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sounds like a sales pitch! But they do work great! just bought two myself
    xysport