1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting residential

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Daner, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I Bite I have never done salting/sanding...all my routes are residential.
    Now the thing that scares me Is... damage to the lawn right beside the drive way:realmad: ...Please give me some lift on this .
    Thanks /FONT]
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Never had a request for driveway salting in all my plowing years. I used a walk behind with calcium chloride at my parents when my mom broke her ankle. That keeps it off the grass.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've never salted a residential drive before. no need to salt drives here, EVERYONE has a 50# bag of salt in their garage that they love to apply themselves because it's so easy. would never ever consider sanding a drive.... it'll track right into the house. i'd drop a 50# bag by to all of your customers and tell them to call you when they run out. it's funny, go drop 25# of salt on a drive and charge them what????? $50????? they get pissed because they can do it them self for $4.00
  4. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

You can buy what is called "Magig salt" . It will not damage the concrete or the grass. I used it last year with great results.
    hope this helps
  5. Daner

wow thats great ...thanks for the tip...Now I just need a small tail gate spreader for my pick up
  6. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

We do a lot of lake homes around here and some of the areas are very hilly. We salt about 3-4 drives on average depending on weather each snowfall. These are second homes and the homeowners want them done. We do about 40 lake homes in this area. Try to get some of these people to go out and salt their drives. I agree it doesn't make much sense, but I'll take their money.

It doesn't matter what type of salt you put down. Just make sure you only use the amount you need. We use bulk salt on residential and commercial. If you use too much you can burn the grass and have concrete damage on commercials as well. The same will happen with what they consider the safe-salts. Use too much and it will burn and pop the concrete.
  7. Daner

Wow I'm Learning alot here.
    I don't have to salt all my acounts ...just a few...but maybe more
    Help me pick a good small spreader to do this job as well.
  8. Daner

some of my driveways are 500 feet+
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

okay i get it now.... your dealing with rich people... when i think of a drive, i think of 20'x40'...... if someone around here has a 500' drive it would not be paved, it would be gravel or dirt and they would probalbly have a 4x4 chore truck or a tractor. they sure as heck wouldn't pay to have someone apply rock salt on their path.... i need to get out more.
  10. smitty3903

smitty3903 Junior Member

that salt your looking for is Magic Salt. work wonder we salt about 80% of our drives. You do have to be careful around lakes and bodies of water that the salt run off doesn't go into it and start killing fish. Here in CT there are some areas we just use straight sand due to the bodies of water. http://www.magicsalt.info/