1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Rates Hamilton Ont Area

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kellyd, Dec 20, 2012.

1. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

Hi there - firstly want to say that I've frequented the site over the last 3 years and appreciate the knowledge and advise given..

I've been plowing as a sub contractor for the last 4 year, I've been asked if i want to bid on the salting... Can anyone give me an idea of the rates of salting within the Hamilton area. $100 hr plus cost of salt (bulk)?

Advice on how many applications for a season.

Thanks in advance for your comments... or the ones I HOPE TO GET.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I can say that salt should be applied as needed, so you tell us how many.
    rates for salting? do you have your own truck? spreader? insurance? Or are you using their equipment?

3. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Most guys that I know of in southern Ontario are in the area of $165 a tonne spread, give or take a few bucks. Take the percentage the company you are subbing for likes to keep off the top of that number and you are probably in the ball park sorta maybe.

4. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

Thanks for the response... to make sure i understand.. cost of 1 ton of salt is $135, are you saying there would only be a $30 mark up.?

5. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

I'm only looking for guidance on an average for applications.. yes, all my own trucks, salters, blowers, spreader, atv's, insurance.etc

6. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is some expensive salt. Like holy crap. Shop around a bit more I'me sure you'll find a much better price.

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Is that the Hbs cost? Does that include the after hours fee they charge?

8. BC Handyman

If your looking for what you should be making/charging As a sub I'd think around $60-$70/hr plus material if he not supplying material.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousity how would you know what a sub should make in Hamilton?

10. BC Handyman

I don't know exactly but let's call it an educated guess. After the contractee takes/make some I'd figure it would/should be in that area, but it is a pretty saturated market so it might be a bit lower. Your closer then me(& alot more experianced) so am I far off?

11. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

Yes HBS - $130 reg hrs, $142 after hrs.

12. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

Unfortunately the company that I've been contracting for won't divulge the $$ that they make from their contracts so I really have no way of knowing what % they expect to keep off the top.

Is there a standard - greedy vs fair.? :)

13. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

Our hrly rate is $90, I was wondering if there was a mark up on salt? Cheapest salt around per ton is $130.

The contractor wants us to quote on salting all our current plowing contracts, so not by the hr, but included in our monthly agreements.

I guess i can just add the additional hrs to the contract (whatever that might be), and see how it comes back. Although with the cost of salt, it doesn't seem worth the liability risk in additional profit.

14. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

I've shopped around.. $115 plus tax. What do you guys pay? I was told the $$ was in salting, when I run the numbers I disagree. Plus the risk of being sued is a lot greater if you hold the contract.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's difficult to put a number on spreading salt. It would really depend on how much your driving around. My take on it you should at least get what your hourly rate for plowing is and it seems that salting is more lucrative then plowing so that shouldn't be a problem. Not many sub plowing around here for 60-$70/hour so I'm thinking $80-100 depending on the size of blade and how reliable the sub is. Most contractors sub out plowing and salt themselves. For friends and other contractors if I'm just helping out or they're helping me out in a jam we just charge a $50/ton spreading fee on top of the salt.

16. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

The last time I checked Hbs that was the price per yard, not per tonne. Big difference when purchasing salt, and its in there favour.

17. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm paying 85 a YD picked up no extra fees for time of day. Just $85 COD or $95 if I put it on my account.

I didn't commit to any amounts either. That's the any joe walking in off the street price.

This is kitchener yes but 1 hr away shouldn't make that much difference. Especially since a good chunk of the salt around here gets trucked from burlington.....

18. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

I was told by hbs that 1 yd is ~ a metric ton.. is that not correct?
    I understand that a m ton is a bit more than a ton..

19. kellyd

kellyd Junior Member

hmmm - big difference... thanks for the info.

20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Yd is 1400 to 1600
    Ton is 2000
    Tonne is 2200

All approximate of course