1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting question...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RyansServices, Nov 1, 2009.

1. RyansServices

RyansServices Junior Member

How much ground does a 50lb bag of rock salt cover when doing walks? Also, how regularly do customers want residential driveways and private drives salted?pumpkin:

2. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

First of all, NEVER use rock salt on sidewalks or driveways. It will cause the concrete to crack, chip and split. You need to buy Magnesium or Calcium chloride. This will cost more but you will not have the problems that rock salt will create. Generally though rock salt will cover 6-12lbs per 1000sq.ft. This varys based on conditions.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Oh really?

How come these magic substances you speak of don't harm concrete?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This could be entertaining.....

5. cretebaby

To bad Mark isn't here. :realmad:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Generous.....

7. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

The problem with using salt(sodium chloride) on walkways/driveways is in the refreeze that occurs. Because it is only effective to approx. 20 degrees when the temperature goes below this it causes the brine that was created to refreeze. This is what causes lasting damage to the surface. It causes the concrete to crack or bust the top off. The calcium/mag chloride products have a lower freezing point(generally around -5 to -30 degrees depending on actual product) and this problem does not occur. However, your premium products, when not applied correctly can cause damage. You might wanna try to educate yourself a little on ice melters. Its not magic how any of the products work it just takes a little training, education and knowledge. This is what seperates the Professionals from the cretebaby!
    2COR, what did you mean by generous?

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

That's why you check your accounts and rte-apply salt if necessarry.
    That is what the REAL plow guys do.
    Not even gonna start anything about someone running around with 3000lbs of crap in the bed of a 1/2 ton....:dizzy:

9. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Do you know that salt does NOT have any reaction after approx. 20 degrees? It does not matter if you put down 5 lbs or 5 tons, there is no reaction that will occur.
    My 1/2 ton is just fine thank you! Obviously it can handle the load.
    True PROFESSIONALS give their customers products that will actually work with the conditions. Sounds like you are just stealing money!

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Run someone/something over with that grossly overloaded 1/2 ton and watch the lawyers have a field day.

11. cretebaby

Wouldn't a "professional" realize that calcium chloride is a salt. :rolleyes:

Trust me half ton boy, sodium chloride works below 20*.

12. cretebaby

Maybe that is what "I'llPLOWYou" means. :confused:

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe the sodium chloride they use in Kentucky is different than what the professionals in real winter climates use... :sleeping:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are salts? Maybe I should get that on my fries at the fair next time:laughing:

15. cretebaby

You should try it, it is very tasty and much tastier at a lower tempature. :rolleyes:

16. gkp

gkp Member

My brine never freezes? my lots are all dry and evaporated within several hours of a storm ending?

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:eek: Yeah CRETEbaby you need some training and knowledge from this guy! :D

To the original poster I have never had a res customer want salt on their drive.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's odd....I guess i've seen the impossible happen over and over.....and over...............again.

Year after year..............after year. :p

19. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

The problem with this industry is too many guys like you all who do not know the difference in salt, mag, calcium, etc. You think salt is salt and everything is salt. No one will ever convince you of anything different. You are the ones putting product down that may or may not be effective and don't know the difference. If you really want to learn about salt call any of the following places and ask them about it, Morton's, Cargill, and United Salt. It is on there bags that the product is not effective below 20 degrees.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't believe everything you read.