1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nherweck, Dec 21, 2005.

1. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

OK...this is my first year providing any snow removal and I was asked to salt a driveway for a customer. I will only be salting about 4 driveways this year, as I'm going to start out easily with only snow throwers, shovels, and salt/spreaders. I have a little fert. spreader that I can use. What kind of salt should I purchase and where should I purchase it at? I'm looking for more of a residential store to purchase from as I don't plan on pushing far this year with it. Thanks and any help would be excellent!!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Get Halite in 50 or 80 pound bags. From any farm supply store. You might find rock salt at Home Depot.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Check CWS Cincinnati Wholesale Supply. They have a location in northern KY. and one in Fairfield. They only sell by the skid(49 50lb bags), but with the reduced price it will make it worth while. Price 2 weeks ago was 171.00 a skid plus tax(if your not tax exempt). Thats 3.49 a bag, Lowes by me is getting 6.99 a bag.

I store left overs at the end of the season in a dirt floor barn for next year, with no problems.....

4. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Check your farmer supplies. I buy by the skid (49 50# bags) at $3.00 a bag, or $147.00 a skid.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Last season salt started at 127.00 and ended at 141.00.... You may be finding old stock, If it is I would buy everything you can store. One guy I know found 2 skids at the end of summer at Harvest Land, paid under 150.00. Diesel cost has driven prices up....

I have price shopped a lot and CWS is by far the cheapest in Cincy...

6. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Fert Spreader

If your fert spreader is a small "homeowner's model," you'll probably have trouble getting standard rock salt to flow through the openings. I bought a Meyer Hotshot HD salt spreader and it works great for fert too. Price tag is just under $300. But, its the only push spreader that I've used I actually like for salt and fert. I don't salt driveways, but I have two small office building parking lots that I do with a push spreader.

Make sure your customers understand that salt will ruin grass. If you're using snowblowers/shovels, you should be scraping down to pavement, and probably don't need the salt....but I guess if they want to pay for it..

7. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

I have an Agri-Fab spreader that worked great last year with solar salt, a finer grained rock salt. I bought it for 3.50 bag/50lb from the farm supply store. It is sold as water softner salt and most people don't think to use if for sidewalks but it works great. We use a larger grain rock salt for the tailgate spreader that we buy from the same place for 3.00 bag/50lb. Don't be afraid to try different types and kinds to see what works the best.

8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

9. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

i'm here in cincinnati and was wondering if anyone around here has a better price than cws? i use only bulk but like to have 4 or 5 skids as a back up for an emergency like if loader would happen to have a break down or bulk would happen to run out ect.? last season cws gave it to me at 2.99 then this yr shot up to 3.49. first storm we had i shot thru my "emergency" supply because i store salt on site at meijer and it wasn't delivered yet. so now i have no backup supply because i hate paying $171 for a little over a ton instead of $48. not that big of deal because you can always shot down to evans or ccs but still like to have it on hand. thanks guys and merry christmas to everyone. take care

10. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

hell didn't realize that i was the only one in cincinnati plowing and salting????? now that i know that i'm the only one i guess i'll have to up my prices a little now. :) :) :)

11. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Scott's Speedy Green spreaders I have found to be cheap and the most reliable to spread salt. $20 to $30 at Home Cheapo. Cheap salt is OK when it i warm above +25. If it gets colder then that you may want to look for something works colder temps.