1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by big schmitty, Dec 11, 2011.

1. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

We were forecast to get a half inch of snow last thur. night. And as usual we didn't get anything, so here's my question. I saw a bunch of parking lots covered in salt. first off, do these companies get paid for this and isn't this a walking hazard for pedestrians and become a insurance liability for the company that applied it and the company that owned the lot?

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Well there are two or more schools of thought on this situation. 1. They salted early so they would not have to site check at 4am like they are supposed to and wanted to sleep in. 2. They are on all inclusive contracts and they wanted to be safe than sorry. 3. They have no clue what they are doing and you will pick them up eventually cause they are wasting time, energy and money. I herd of a company that salted for no real reason, had there guys sweeping the salt back up later in the day. Stay strong and do what you do.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Who knows, it might be in their contract to pre salt. As far as a safety hazard, I doubt it unless they put it down to where it looks like a beach. The cars will drive over it and crush it up then they shouldn't need to salt for the next inch or so predicted.

4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

i guess too it depends on what type of account they are. If its a hospital im not surprised. We havent had any accumulating snow yet, a few mornings werve had some flurries that stuck to a few low lying areas and weve had some rain that has frozen over night in low areas and we will spot salt, but a hospital by us (serviced by brickman) has completly salted every time, probably 2 or 3 apps now. the parking lot is just white. a 1" storm probably will just melt right off when we do get some snow.

and like stated before it really all depends on their customers expectations. I dont believe it would be a hazard or a liability issue really.

5. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

It was a cvs parking lot and u could have skated to the door due to how much salt there was on the lot.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well imo, thats just stupid using that much salt. Inexperience will do that. If its like any cvs around here the lots may need 200lbs of salt on a normal night.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Also depends on what type of snow your getting to .If wet snow is coming you may want to pre salt to keep the snow from freezing on the ground.Makes it easier to plow it then. Also depends on what time it was done at.If they were open and the lot is sealed it can get slippery as the temp goes down.

8. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

It snowed about a half an inch last week and I had someone go out salting. Yes, we get paid for such.

9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

A lot of the companies around here do that :sleeping:, heck the city and state will treat the roads at least 1-2 days before a predicted storm.Thumbs Up

Trouble is, we most always get rain, then snow or rain then sleet then ice. So all that salt just washes away and the lots/road freezes anyway and all that salt was wasted, not to mention a waste of time!

10. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

If it had snowed, I myself would have gone out salting. I actually wait until it does snow before I do go. I also understand pre-salting if ice or freezing rain is predicted. We were only suppose to get a half in. and pavement temps were still 38 deg. It just didn't make sense to me under the circumstances.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salting is a tough call. If you have had a few law suits you tend to salt before you skip and take your chances. If it's an all in contract then 1 or 2 extra salts isn't going to kill you.

12. mllandscapingIL

mllandscapingIL Junior Member

If its a commercial site then they are probably on a zero tolerance program which means they get paid even if it does not snow. But if they applied salt and it did not, then they will either putt that under there program price or they will charge a different price for that service.