1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Question for everyone!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by powerdriver, Dec 19, 2013.

1. powerdriver

powerdriver Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

Good Evening to everyone,

Okay here is my dilemma, I only do commercial properties and I have one in particular that is giving me a headache. Its an asphalt parking lot and I use rock salt in my spreader. The rock salt just isn't cutting it, I know I can use Pedalow and Lava Melt, etc... I use landscapers choice on their concrete walks because they are all new. They are trying to keep costs down of course, so I was wondering if there is something I can mix with my rock salt so I don't have any ice build up on parts of their parking lot.

So anything you can think of to put in my spreader with the Rock Salt would greatly help. I have considered liquid de-icers but will wait until next season.

Lets here it guys & thank you!!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you using enough,is this spot downhill from where you push the snow,less traffic,in the shade?

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Start using clearlane, its only $8-10 more per ton and well worth it.

4. powerdriver

from CHICAGO

I put about 500-700 pounds of salt down, its more then enough. We haven't had a lot sun recently and I know that's part of the issue of course. I'm looking for something that is still cheap but effective to help them out.

5. SnowGuy73

What has the temp been lately?

Also, the words cheap and effective normally don't go together!

6. powerdriver

from CHICAGO

lol, temps have gotten warmer and everything is good now. I will be working with a bare surface for the next snow fall this weekend. I know cheap and effective doesn't go well, lol. Im trying to keep costs down on both sides of the table. The aren't afraid to spend the money, I just don't want them to ever have the idea that I want to take advantage of pocket book.

7. SnowGuy73

$10 more a ton is cheap insurance and it works the first time.

8. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Magic works good too. Costs more per ton, but you don't have to use as much as straight salt.

9. Stove

Stove Member

^^^^^ yep what he said