1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lucky4511, Jan 27, 2010.

1. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

We are in our second year of snow removal, our initial customer is a monthly maintenance account so they are not so concerned about our per visit prices - just the overall contract amount. We have a new group this year who is questioning our salting prices. We charge the per push cost plus $12 per bag of salt used. The number of bags used obviously changes due to conditions, however, the initial costs always stays the same. We were questioned on the charges from the last event, I am not sure how we came to the conclusion to charge in this manner and wanted some imput as to if others use this method or is there a better way to price out salting services?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Your pricing is fine or could be even higher per bag IMO. Tell them it was colder out and you needed more product to get the results they desired. Or you can just figure out how many 50# bags of salt you use on average per visit multiply that $12.00 and that is your per app. price for the property. Go to them and tell them this is how much it will cost per application so there are no questions asked. Sometimes you will need less and sometimes you will need more, but in the end if your average or median is correct you will not be losing any money if you have to use a little more product during the colder months. I do this for all my per push accounts and for my seasonals I give them a per. application price on top of what they pay per month. Good Luck,
  3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

This is the same method I use. I have only been questioned on this one time. After explaining to the customer that the initial charge is a truck charge and minumim charge, and applies whether the truck is plowing or spreading, the customer paid the bill. They have not questioned an invoice since.