1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting prices

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by turf source, Jan 25, 2009.

1. turf source

turf source Junior Member

I'm in need of help on the best way to price salting lots? Should it be by the hour, by the yard what. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Most guys I know that use bulk set a flat price, and thats what they charge everytime they salt. I personally only used bagged salt, so I charge by the bag. You just have to figure out which way your going to go. 1 acre should use somewhere around 600 to 700 pounds of salt, for a light ice, or up to 3/4 of an inch of snow. A heavy ice might go upwards of 800 to 900 pounds of salt, or up to about an 1 1/4 inch of snow. Figure your costs, and price it accordingly. Hope this helps
  3. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Rc you hit right on the head

We figure that we will on average use about 1/2 ton on an acre property every time we salt some times less some times more. So we figure are cost per ton which in KC right now is about $90 a ton so we will use about $45 in product we will charge about three times the cost of material to apply to most accounts when we get to multi acre property it will drop somewhere between 2 to 3 times cost. Good Money price it right because salting eats ur truck alive or it can if you don't take care of it.

4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Whatever they pay to plow it, is what they pay to salt it. Keeps it simple.