1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jryden145, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a way to price lots for salting.

Thanks J

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

buy the salt at X amount and charge X amount to apply it. :rolleyes:

that is a very vague question, first off you need to know how much salt youre going to need

3. jryden145

jryden145 Member

Salting in my area is not very common at all. So I'm trying to figure out how to charge, by acre or ton or whatever. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks J

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well you can charge by application, by the ton, by the bag or you can charge so much/hour to spread + product. Are you using bags or bulk? How big are the lots, your going to salt?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't forget about the ever popular "All Inclusives". :eek:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, I forgot, and that's the way most of my jobs are.:D

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

25#'s per thousand square feet for bagged is a good number to start at. i do believe that is twice the amount road crews use

or 1ton per acre bulk just because its bulk and from what i understand bulk does not work as well as bagged

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

not think bagged works better than bulk, even if bagged work better i dont think there is that much diference in spread rate

sounds like this could be a good opportunity to make some extra cash

i would start with bags and spread a small lot to figure how much to use and double the price of bagged product. when estimating how much to use figure an extra bag or two since some applications will be heavier than others

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

first of all sodium chloride is sodium chloride. the differnce is when you have treated salt, or some other chloride like potasium or magnesium or calcium etc. whitch is relatively easy to find in bag's

~600lbs per acre would be fine.

at 25# per 1000 sq ft the app. rate is 1086lb per acre which is about twice the amount that is needed but bulk dosent work as good as bagged? :confused:

PJ

10. terrapro

from MI

i guess i need to clarify....

from my experience bagged spreads more even because its finer than bulk salt. the salt itself is not better just the coverage so you need less of it to have the same effectiveness.

but i guess take my advice with a grain of salt(pun intended) because i dont have much experience with bulk salt. listen to these guys that use 100's of tons of bulk a year.

so 600lbs of bulk is enough for an acre? from what i remember the county spreads at 8-9lbs per 1000sqft that would be about 350-400lbs per acre which is fine but that is for roadways not commercial properties with zero tolerance. am i out of line with my recommended 25lb per 1000sqft?

for example a lot with 6000sqft i will use 150-160lbs including 100ft of walk pretty easy.

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah, i thought for a while that my number was high over 1000, but i went back and corrected myself, you shoulld be in the 500-800 lbs per acre. andmy bulk is finner than my bagged product

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Bagged salt goes further for 2 reasons. One it is screened/dried at the bagging plant. You get consistent rock size, typically with no fines. Its spreads perfect (when dry), so your coverage and pattern are excellent When a skid has been stacked and moved around alot the bags settle and fines are created, and when you spread this product (like bulk) you don't get that "perfect" even pattern you do with screened salt with very little fines.

The second reason bagged goes further is your loading it by hand, from bags, and you know EXACTLY what your spreading and how much you really need to achieve the desired effect.
    When spreading bulk its all about guess work, unless your running a DOT setup like the Epoke spreaders/monitors, that take all the guess work out of how much to put down at your rate of speed. Usually you end up putting down just a lil extra to make "Sure" you got enough down. When you use bags you know that 500#s (example weight) is plenty and you can go to your next account and you dont sweat it.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks T Man, you saved me alot of typing.:drinkup:

14. terrapro

from MI

it sounds like i use ALOT more than i sould be.

okay so bulk is more like 13-14lbs per 1000sqft. does this sound better to everyone. if i give out information to people i prefer it to be accurate

15. m297

m297 Member

So let me get this straight, your gonna put down 500-600lbs of salt for 43,560 sq ft??? !!!??

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why what would you put down?

17. terrapro

from MI

okay so how much would you put down :waving:

actually i would normally put down closer to 800-1000lbs per acre or 43650sqft as you put it. i was just under the impression that bulk was always spread heavier than bagged, which i suppose is still true but i just use alot more than i should anyway LOL

18. m297

m297 Member

Well thats a big difference from the 500-600lbs as referenced before. An acre is 43,560 sq ft, thats how i put it. You keep saying an acre I guess some dont realize what an acre is.

I think the conditions really dictate how much u put down, you can go with an average of course. For example I have a contract from a customer that says bare pavement in the parking areas is the only acceptable condition

I wouldn't say thats alot more than you should use. My 2 cents!!

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah you know what the problem is .... my average , is different from yours and everyone elses... things can be compedative here ... so you almost need to price it per ton, if its larger, or figure that u price it at 400 lbs and u are constently going to put down 600

i really dont care how you price it , (per ton, or per app, ) or even what ur rate is... the bottom line is i have to give them the lowest price, and then try to make up for it constantly

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  20. terrapro

from MI

yeah, im going to stick to my rates of 20-25lbs per 1000sqft, if someone asks i will just tell them it varies alot because it does. some use more some use less but i think my numbers are pretty safe.

i remember my first salt job. it was a lawyers office with a 600sqft lot plus 30 ft of walk. a small lot, only took about 10 minutes to plow, shovel, and salt. i used 2 80lb bags of salt there and i was still paranoid. i dont think it was accessive but to some it would be.