1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Prices?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by The Boss, Jan 11, 2004.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just curious what you guys charge for salting? Price for application and price for salt. Thanks for any responses.:waving:

2. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

I was wondering that one to I was thinking of starting to salt! I was gona Just charge them all 3X what I have invested in materials for there lots! Unless that isn't enough! I figured I would figure it out as I went!

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I get $18 per 50# bag of salt, it is an easy way to keep track of useage

4. The Boss

5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Figure out what your per # cost is and basic rule for increase...mark it up 200%. Make sure you factor in all your overhead costs.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

so $2.75 a bag x 3 (200%) =$8.25

that is way too cheap IMO:eek:

7. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Guys guys guys. Any of you ever call a plumber to your house, or the phone guy or an appliance technician? All will quote you a price of X dollars for the service call for the first 30 minutes, plus Y dollars for each additional 30 minutes PLUS materials.

Now why should we be any different? Charge a service fee PLUS material costs and not base your charge on what things cost. BILLING X Time Materials is the most assanine thing I ever heard of, and heres an example of why.

Lets say you have to salt 4 properties and those four properties take 1 hour to salt.

One trip requires you to use one ton of salt for the 4 properties and your using bagged salt. Your cost of salt is $ 5.00 a 50 lb bag so material costs for the run are $ 200. Now if your billing at 3x costs then you bill them $ 600 for that salt run. Which leaves you $ 400. Now subtract out labor costs, equipment costs (which better include replacement costs), washing the salter costs, and loading up more salt costs. Lets say those costs are $ 150 dollars which earns you $ 250 for the hour. Pretty good money right?????

Next visit however you only need half as much salt to do the job. So you bill them $ 300 for that salt run, BUTTTT you have exactly the same amount of costs right. Same amount of fuel, same dollars to wash the spreader, same labor costs. So this time you only earned $ 150 for the hour. Still good money, but didnt you just do the exact same amount of work for less money???

Now if you charged $ 50 a visit plus materials with a 2x or 3x or 5x markup (whatever you want) then you know your going to earn $ 200 plus materials everytime you start your truck to go on that run. So now you know youve covered your costs, have already earned a profit, and dont have to throw down excessive salt just to pad your pocket.

Anyone with me on this???

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes, on salting only, I charge a service charge plus the marked up material.

9. The Boss

Thanks guys!:waving:
    Keep it coming.

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We charge for material by the ton + an hourly rate for the truck

11. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have a ? or 2 ?

I charge $140 per ton cost is $60 per ton loaded

I charge $15 per 50 lb bag cost is 2.95

I spread both bulk and bagged. I have an account that would normally use 10 bags of salt. I try spread it with bulk because I can spit the load with another 2 lots. I charge them $140 min. Because 10 bags at $15 per = $150.00 Even if I spread bulk. If I did the break down I should only charge them $40, so I charge them a 1 ton min. ($140) the max that I would ever use would be 750lbs.

I never want to rip some one off. Am I ?
    Does any person charge a min. for bagged or bulk.
    Does any body have a similar problem like this one

12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Nate, where can you get bags for $2.75 each ???????

I pay double that here in NJ. :cry:

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, Nate.... that would be correct. Then add in all the other overhead costs associated with applying the salt for the customer. The formula I spoke of is just for the material.

Sometimes you have to "think" outside of the box. :eek:

14. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

nj plowman--- you can get 50lb bags of rock salt at nischwitchs(spelling?) in south plainfield,nj for $4.00 a bag.

:D

15. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Do it best sells by the pallet by me starting at 2.95 per bag
    If you buy 12 pallets-truck load-it is about 2.65
    includes free delivery.

Town and country sells it for about the same.

16. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

ELITE ONE, WILL THEY DELIVER TO NJ FOR FREE (ONLY KIDDING)
    any good prices in nj anyone (bagged)

17. Big Nate's Plowing

I can get it at $2.15 if I take 10 pallets too

kipcom: I thought you were applying for $8.XX a bag, I didnt know you charged a fee too

18. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

$2.15 is super cheap. Who is your suppier?? I was lucky to find the one I have. Do it best might be a naional company, I realy don't Know.

19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

$20.00 per bag spread. $25.00 min. for res. $75. min. for comm. :cool:

20. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It may not be much if you are dpreading jusy one bag. Almost all the lots I have get at least 10 to 20 bags. $2.75 seems low for salt but use that figure times 10 bags. There is a net profit of $55.00 for 10 minutes work. Sounds good to me. My salt cost more like $3.25 per bag. At 3X that is a spread cost of 10.75 per bag. Ten bags per application leaves a net profit of $75.00, again for 10 minutes work. Do that for ten different lots and you will make $750.00 just in salt.