1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting prices and snow removal prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bchlawns, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Karl or anyone else,
    I live in Ohio and a guy i know charges .32 cents per lb of salt. So that would be $16.00 for each 50lb. bag of salt. According to your price of $25.00- $50.00 , $16.00 is not enough to charge per 50# bag of salt is that correct? I see what u are saying i think. If a place needs more salt they get a cheaper rate of $25 compared to if u are just spreading 1-2 bags u charge them more like #50 per bag is that correct? What about a residential house driveway that needs salt. How much do u charge for that? What type of salt do you use and do people want to pay more for better salt or do they complain that it is too much and would rather pay for cheaper salt to get a cheaper price. What is your experience with that? Also does neone know the going price per hour for snow removal in Ohio or doesnt it matter?
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Honestly, I don't care if people want a certain kind of salt. I put rock salt on asphalt and the mag type ice melt with grit on concrete surfaces. This may sound arrogant, but i know what has to be used where and I know where to get the best prices from. So if someone wants a certain kind of salt, 1) they are going to pay for it, 2) they have to need enough to make a trip to pick it up worth my time. But, I usually have this figured out by Oct. so I know where to get the stuff and how much. If someone calls me in the middle of winter, well, that's a different story. As for driveways, same rule applies. I charge the same. Why should they get charged less than commercial? The work is still teh same. BUT, usually residentials don't need as much salt as commercials, so it ends up costing less. Lastly, I bid at $30 per bag, but I'm near Balt & D.C..

3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

jalawn,
    is $30 per 50# bag for a tailgate spreader or for a hand spreader? or both

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

$30 per 50# bag for spreader or salter. I usually charge a little more for sidewalks because my guys hand spread it because I find you waste a lot when you use a spreader for sidewalks. Spreaders will throw too much into the grass or beds. Besides I make sure my guys leave no area unsalted when they hand salt, hence the higher price ( I call it hand delivered service!).

5. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info on everything jalawn