1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting price?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by the new boss 92, Dec 29, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i just joined this site last year and i am growing my side buissness at a slow and steady rate. i have the plowing part down and per price and sesonal rates and blah blah blah. now i would like to get a couple good pointer on spreading salt. how much do you mark up a bag of salt? how do i charge for and app fee? does salt dent cars if it were to bounce off them while passing them? i just need to know a couple things on priceing the job corectly and not to over charge people and loose them the fallowing year! and help will be appresheated.
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

usually people are at around $15-20/bag for salt thats for time, material, equip the hole ball of wax. I would charge $15/bag if 10 or more are required and 20/bag for less then 10. As far as cars i dont think it should be a problem at all. you just need to know your application rates. I am at around 1200# per Acre for salt on my usual application on the light side its around 900-1000 and on the heavy side around 1500, you just need to figure out how much you need. Measure a property, put the spreader on the average setting for you that you will normally spread at put in a couple bags and spread it. If the spreader empties before your finished add more and finish if you dont empty the spreader then guess how much you have left roughly and divided the total pounds used by the sq feet and there is your lbs/sqft and times that by 1k and you have your spread rate. generally its near 20-25lb/k.

Spreading also depends on your settings, spread pattern, and speed. I like to keep the spinner at about 5-6 and make two passes down a driving lane then one down each parking lane, usually around 5-10mph. But you could also have the spread pattern on 10 and drive half in the parking lane half in the drive lane and get the same results just going one way and get the same results. Its all a matter of preference
  3. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I agree, I get $15 per 50lb spread. On my Boss tailgate spreader I just bought I set it on 5-6 at 5mph or so and give it a Blast going through high traffic areas and such.
  4. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

$15 per 50 lbs of what kind of material? We are charging $30.00 per 50 lbs for peladow and $18.00 per 50 for Morton rock salt
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We get 250 Ton applied. And 55 bag for Peladow.............I'll never do bagged salt again EVER