1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting only?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Well this is my first year in the landscape business. Since im only 20 plowing insurance is insane. I was recommended by a friend to do salting/pretreatment only. Is this feasible? We really don't have much snow now or at least we didn't last year in southern Ontario but ice is a way bigger problem. Is it true that you probably wouldn't need plowing insurance for salting?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

there is even more liability in just salting .. and you had best have insurance because its not if , but when someone falls and sues ya ... be covered and be safe ..

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to agree with plowinginma. If a customer tells me they don't want salting or only on call then I will not be responsible for slip and falls.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's possible. I'd considered it as there is much better profit margin in salting than plowing. The problem is if they want salting, they'll also want it plowed, usually both at the same time. Then, you'll have coordination problems getting someone to plow, which needs to be before you're there. People would rather just have someone who does both. I had two guys one year before I started plowing. One plowed and I'd call the other for sanding because the first one didn't have a sander. I was really PO'd the last time. I called him to sand. He showed up first. I wasn't home. Obviously, it needed plowed and he knew I had someone coming to plow. But I'd called him to sand, so he sanded. Right on top of 6" of snow that then later got plowed.

You might have some luck working with guys who plow only. They could call you when a customer needs salting. You'd still have coordination problems and they'd need to be sure you won't try to take the customer for plowing.

But I agree with the rest - your liability exposure is going to be prohibitive. You'll be the most obvious to blame in slip and fall case. Even if you haven't been there yet. The plowguy can claim he contracted you to salt in order to make the site safe but you hadn't fulfilled your obligation - either because you hadn't showed up yet or had done an inadequate job. If you're trying to aviod insurance costs, this is definately not the way to do it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Hi,

Thanks for the input. Well I do have 4 million in company liability, which is what Im hoping would cover the slip and fall because I thought that EVEN IF I was accused of a slip and fall in result to plowing its the company insurance NOT the auto insurance correct? I mean the auto insurance for a plow is high because you may clip cars or hit things burried int he snow but I cant see the plow insurance covering the slip and fall. This is where id like to save the money is on the auto insurance, not the company liability insurance.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Technically, you are correct. I'm not sure if there's a difference in Canada, but here you could not have liability insurance unless you also have Commercial Vehicle insurance (I've discussed all this with an insurance agent). Commercial Vehicle insurance is for the damage done by the vehicle, that is correct. The are only two ways to save on this. The first would be to go from "Full Coverage" to "Liability Only". The second way to lower the premium is to increase the deductible amount. Note also that for your "company insurance" ie: General Liability - you need to advise the underwriter of activities in which you are engaged (plowing snow, salting etc). If a claim is submitted for an activity which is not listed on the policy, the insurance company will pay the claim, but will cancel the policy immediately. If a General Liability policy is cancelled for cause (in other words - THEY cancelled the policy early) no other company will issue another policy.

Do not "hope" they will cover a slip and fall claim. Make sure they will by reading the policy and see what is and is not covered. Plus, if it's not stated in the policy that it is covered, then it isn't.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

I do have commercial insurance on the truth which is $400 per month but it does not cover plowing. If I want plowing that is when it skyrockets. I am not sure wether salting is included but I cant see it incuring the cost that straight plowing would. I will have to inquire.

Cheers
    Jeff