1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting only ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rosarioslc, Feb 18, 2010.

1. rosarioslc

rosarioslc Junior Member

hi guys
    i have a question is it possible to get sub out just for salting? if yes what would be a reasonable rate?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

can you explain th esituation, are the the person salting and subbign yrou services? or are the plow guy , looking to have someone else do your salting?

3. rosarioslc

rosarioslc Junior Member

a few guys want to plow but wont salt..they told me that sometimes it slows them down (i dont know if thats true or what but)...so i had one plow guy come to me and ask me if i can salt the properties for him once he plows them (they are commercial lots)...me personal i dont plow for now all i do is driveways with a snowblower (soon i get a plow) but i do have a spreader

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would rather do salting then plowing any day.

5. rosarioslc

rosarioslc Junior Member

you do salting only? if you do how does that work? someone else plows the you come and salt? if you do how does the pay rate works?

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

charge them per ton applied, figure out your expenses, include loading, hauling, delivery , stroage and purchasing when figuring out your rate.

i would Aggee to a set time of the day to spread for them. depending on yoru route this could be a schdualling problem...lets see contractor finishes plowing at 7 :00 am, and wants you to be there waiting and ready to spread salt as soon as he is done? or next time out hes behind , and then that would mess with your schdual waiting for him to finish.?

I would aggree to an approx time under most conditions, I would have a service charge or a min QTY applied to cover tavel expenses in the event you have to travel all the way back accorss town/s , to spread.

i would also have an "idle" time, in the event that he is not ready to have you salt it by that time.

just keep that all in mind

7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I would run nothing but salters if I could. So much easier on the trucks, less damage, very easy money. call up some contractors (not the big boys) the small guys who only have a truck or two but no salter and see if they need any lots done. a lot of guys won't buy a salter if they're only doing one little parking lot or two they'll just sling it by hand. you can do it in 3 minutes and save them 25 minutes at the same time. it's win-win.

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Ya I would just call up the small guys like other said and talk to them. Tell them they include it in there bid price, and tell them what you will charge them. Around here its .15-.20$ /lbs applied or 300-400/ton. I would charge them in the neighborhood of .17-.18$/lb if someone contacted me for salting. Allows them room to bid and get the job. Now if there was a job that was out of my way, then I would charge more. Very simple and easy money.

9. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

You are essentially becoming a trucking company rather than a plow guy. I have thought about doing something like this, contracting salting services to smaller landscapers/plow contractors or custom liquid ice melt application. It could become a nice little niche buisness? One thing though is that salting is one of the bigger revenue generators in this buisness and not a lot of guys want to give that up around here. I also wonder how the liabilty issues play out - I.E. silp and falls?

10. bristolturf

that is a very good point. For an issue like that I would probably consult an attorney and just get his professional opinion on the matter as well as contact others who do that work.

11. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

I think if the company you contracted to got sued, they would be forced to sue you to recoup their or their insurance companies loss, claiming you didn't do the the job correctly.

12. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

WoW !!! thats cheap....will you come do our 120acres of parking lots ? and the neighborhoods too..........payup

13. bristolturf

im sorry i just have to say this though, i love it when people say your cheap come do our stuff blah blah blah. Im not trying to be a jerk or anything, but thats what the going price is. We can get salt at about $90 a ton around here, so i am confortable going up to around .18 to .2/lb. That is where we are at. We have one place where we charge .15/lb. Small lot and its a friends business, so i gave him a deal. We make money at what we charge so I am not complaining.

14. DKG

DKG Senior Member

$350-$400 per ton sounds very expensive to me.

15. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

Get me a list of properties for me to measure and I can get a quote over to you.

16. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Kip me to! We have large salters and are local!

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

15.00 per 50 lb bag by broadcast spreader or .30 per lb bulk by V box spreader
    so lets do the math 100.00 per ton my cost bulk and at .30 per lb 2000 lbs per ton thats 600.00 and I dont have a single complaint people are happy to see pavement on there property not snow pack and slips and falls