1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting in suburbs of Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by odd1or2even, Nov 8, 2008.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I live southwest to King of Prussia, PA. What I am am asking is what you guys in the near area are charging for spread a ton of bulk rock salt? I have some lots that will be take 4-5 tons on each application and was thinking about charging 225 a ton spread, and wanted to see if that was on target with others prices. Thanks guys/gals!

Steve

2. odd1or2even

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

3. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

4 - 5 ton for a parking lot sounds like an awfull lot I used to make that last through 30 miles of road both ways and 225 per ton sounds a little high but price for matterial varries per area and amount purchased

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

For my salt I'm at $180 a ton spread.

5. odd1or2even

Thanks for the replies... the lots would total probably 1400 or more parking spots over all 6 lots and some entry ways as well. My salt price of 225 I figured because I can only get bulk salt for 90 a ton dumped into my truck. So it's a 150% markup on salt... that about right?

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we mark it up about $70 a ton sometimes less

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

double what your paying for it. in our area your looking at between $160 - $200 / ton spread

8. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

180 - 225 would be a fair range.

The costs add up quick when you really start thinking about truck maintenance, spreader maintenance, equipment to load salt, travel time, and the cost just for the salt.