1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting in Philly area?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RCIPlow, Jan 6, 2002.

1. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Was just curious if any of you in the Philly area were going to be salting tonight due to temperture drop. I am considering goung ou later on, maybe in early am.Want to try out spreader on quad.

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

4am

we'll be checking our commercial properties in wilmington, and i'm sure our guys up in mainline and nw will be too. have alot slush right now, that i'm sure will freeze up in a few hours.

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Look's like I'll get out about 3 or so. Just a half dozen res., so no real money out of this one. good luck if you head out, it's slippery out there.

Mark

4. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Hey Tim,
    Sorry to hear you got rained out. We got about 2 inches of heavy wet snow in Kulpsville and about an inch in Ft. Washington. We plowed and salted. Crews in Holland and Philly were rained out.

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

SW Coastal Connecticut here...

As soon as the rain stopped around midnight, I went and salted the hospital.

Just in case, the temp dropped. Didn't want a skating rink here this a.m. ;)

6. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

TurfPlus,

Are you in Kulpsville? Thats five minutes from me.

Mike Hughes, Everclear
    mike@evclear.com

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Philly area guys. A few of us over in Lawnsite and ********** are planning on meeting at the PA Turf Conference Trade Show at the Valley Forge Convention Center on Wednesday the 9th or Thursday the 10th. Check out this link:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23634

Either e-mail me or reply to this if anyone is interested. I can do either day, just need a show of hands.

8. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

Started around 8:00 pm with 3 trucks and salted until 1:30 am. I went back out at 4:30 solo to do quality control and touch ups on the high liability accounts. Had a shipment of bulk salt come in the afternoon, talk about perfect timing! Hope everyone was safe. Most applications were straight rock salt with the sidewalks getting calcium chloride flake. It wasn't snowbut we'll take what we can get.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  9. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

RCIPlow,
    what kind of spreader did you mount on your quad?

10. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Salted Mon. Night, and Tues. Morning. Enough to use up credit and knock off the cobwebs...lol.

My spreader that I mounted on the quad is a Buyers Truck spreader, 55 gallons, made a mount from a reese hitch. Works pretty well.

11. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i mounted a curtis fast-cast 175 on the back of my yamaha grizzly. worked well also. wired in a buyers speed control for controlling spread width.