1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting-How Much???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JohnnyRoyale, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to the site! Yes, yes you can. Good luck with your purchase!

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That looks like the salter my dad made in the early 70's out of an old car rear end. It shold work perfect for a newbie like you and driveways are what it was made for.

4. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

That is one of the best machines made. If I were'nt so far away, I'd purchase it in a heartbeat. Keep us posted.......pictures, pictures.

5. JohnnyRoyale

Thanks for your advice fellas...

Im convinced it would work too.

Never pulled a trailer though.

Might take some time getting used to plowing with a trailer on but I'm sure its possible.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

7. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I'm sure with a little fabing that would make an awesome tail gate spreader:D

8. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

we use to use the same thing too top dress tees and fairways with sand, so it should work great. the one issue it had was spreading really wet sand.:drinkup:

9. JohnnyRoyale

On a serious note...I actually made the rookie mistake to buy one of these 15 years ago for $1000.00. I only had one property to salt and was convinced (by the seller) it would be perfect.

Well...it wasnt.

Not only did i look like a ****** when I drove it into the salt yard, I looked like a bigger ****** shovelling the yard out into a cousins tailgate salter after a 20 hour plow shift and -20 weather.

Learned one of my first valuable lessons that chilly November morning. :laughing:

Alot has sure changed since then. :drinkup:

10. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

:laughing::laughing:Beauty Thread:D

:drinkup:

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Johnny.....1400+ posts in a few months WoW.....As far as the salting..I charge per Beer..How many Beers do i need in that day to maintain the fall down drunk state i gotta be in to make it through that day...Its about 32 Beers...Good Luck Johnny..:drinkup:

12. JohnnyRoyale

If you were drinking Canadian beer you'd be pissing less. tymusic

Thanks for the warm welcome.

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

some relatives of mine own a truck stop in north central wisconsin and the guys who plow it sand the lot with a manure spreader......i really want to see video of that....

14. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

I dont know about the salt spreader (but can say if you have to shovel anything--think about what the guy said about shoveling after working 20 hrs in -20 degree weather! OMG! We charge between 20-25 cents per pound for bulk salt to be spread and i think we pay about 3-4 cents per pound to buy it. We have a load all to load the salt into our spreaders, and we have some pallets of 50lb bags on hand too for the smaller properties. Come up with a formula for the amount of salt that you need and make sure you tell them this is an estimate of the amount of salt that you will spread at each event and make it clear that you charge per pound-so if you use more you bill for what you use. That way if you have an ice storm you can use more salt as needed. Salt is very profitable and helps add to your sales between storms. And also helps keep them under control during a snow event.