1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting How much to charge?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mean4x4, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Hi, I am new to salting this year. what is the best way to determine how much salt I will use in a given area? I pay 45/ton for salt. And I have 2 V box spreaders that will hold 2 1/2- 3 tons per truck.

2. myo

myo Senior Member

I recently was wondering the same thing, I did a search and found all the info I needed...

3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

care to share it with us?...

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Perhaps MYO had in mind the proverb:

"Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day, Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime"...

and its equivalent here at PlowSite:

"Give a man the answer to what he asked, and you've given him the answer to what he asked, Teach him to use the "Search" function, and you've given him the answer to almost any question he might think of, except for some really obscure stuff..."

The quick answer to the original question is "around a couple or three hunderd pounds an acre", but it's been discussed in much greater depth than I could ever hope to go into here. As for what to charge, that has been discussed even more, and there's no standard answer...

5. myo

myo Senior Member

6. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

SALT RATES

WELCOME TO THE FUN (SALTING)

WE ARE IN SE PA. WE CHARGE PER LOT PER APPLICATION.
    WE ALSO HAVE ALOT OF YUPPIES THAT THINK TWO FLAKES OF SNOW DESERVE TO BE SALTED W/ A TON OF SALT. WE SALT MORE THAN MOST, THAT WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS DEMAND, BUT WE USE ALOT LESS PRODUCT PER APPLICATION.

SALTING SHOULD HAVE THE HIGHEST PROFIT MARGIN! WE ARE AT 75%

WE PAY AT THE RIVER (OCEAN PORT) $40.00 OPEN LIMITED HOURS

DURING THE STORM $65.00 24/7 IN THE HEART OF OUR ROUTE!!

I HAVE 1 10' FISHER V BOX THAT HOLDS 3 TON TO THE WATER LINE
    IT'S HUGE, AN 8' I WOULD HAVE SOME LEFT FOR TOUCH UPS. 3 TONS WOULD SALT 15 ACRES!

LESS SALT DONT REPLACE THE LOT!! SALT TWICE DON;'T PAINT THE LOT WHITE. MOST SALTERS PUT DOWN TOO MUCH!!

7. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

APPLICATION RATES

SOMETIMES IT IS SMART TO GET OUT OF THE TRUCK WITH A BUCKET OF SALT, RATHER THAN TURN ON THE SPREADER. SAVE MONEY AND THE LOT!

IF YOU CAN SEE SALT IN THE LOT AFTER IT'S DRY, IT'S PROBALLY TO MUCH.

8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

easy on the caps, please- you're hurting my ears

Welcome to plowsite!!:waving:

we have great xpectations for what you may add ;-)