1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting driveways

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigjeeping, Sep 9, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I was thinking about buying a tailgate spreader, but then I thought.. why drop $1500 on it? All I clear is 1-car and 2-car width driveways... How would YOU salt these drives?
    Jump out and use a push spreader?
    Tailgate spreader?

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I use a push spreader, your right, with things costing what they do now-a-days I try to evaluate ever purchase.

Just think of it this way, how long will it take you to pay that sucker off ?? And is all your going to be doing is driveways.

Best of Luck with the decision.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Use a walk behind if all you are going to be doing are driveways. A good one is about $150.00 for a earthway, I have had one for three years now and all I do is wash it after each event.

Regards Mike

4. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I keep a rubbermaid tote in the back of the truck and just fill a broadcast spreader with the product. Its a pita at times but for the price it is the best option. If your drives are tight then adding the extra length to your truck may make the drives more difficult.

Start off with the push spreader. you could always upgrade if its not worth it for you.

Be Safe :drinkup: