1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Drives?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman1957, Mar 30, 2004.

1. plowman1957

plowman1957 Junior Member

Has anyone heard of this?
    A guy I know who plows was telling me a few people like there drives salted.I never heard of this before.Would it benifit me to look into a small salt spreader for my truck or just waite and see if I run into it and spread it by hand and how would I charge for this?
    Thank for your help. :)
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Some of my drives want salt. Why would they be different from commercials? I base my price on how many bags to salt, and times that by my price of $30 per bag. An average restaurant would take about 5 bags to salt it completely. Definitely tell your clients about salting. That is where the real money is made!
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my smallest driveway i charge 50.00
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Be sure and get a disclamer if salting concrete drives.
  5. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

we have numerous drives that get salted,are you talking about residential drives or commercial?
  6. plowman1957

Ops,guess I should have said resindential.
    Sorry about that.
  7. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

residential we have a few that get salted,they have sealant on there driveways and salting helps to keep from sliding on it..
  8. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

The average 4 car driveway folks usually don't ask, but there have been a couple of exceptions. A friend of mine had a half dozen or so residential driveways that were 600 to 1000 feet off the main roads. He salted for them.
  9. plowman1957

Thanks for the info,have a great day!
  10. GPB

GPB Member

I'd wait and see if anyone wanted there driveway salted before I spent the money on a spreader. If its just a couple, you might be money ahead just to spread by hand.
    As stated before, keep salt off of concrete.