1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting condo driveways ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by balky22, Dec 14, 2009.

1. balky22

balky22 Junior Member

i have had this contract for a few years. it is a condo complex with 100 drive ways. we clear these drive ways with a tractor and back dragging blade. we shovel all walk ways. we are using rock salt to treat the aspahlt walks and drives .my question is the best way to apply this product. the drives are about ten feet wide and vary from 15 to 25 feet long. we have been using a walk behined spreader , but the salt dosen't go through it well. so we end up throwing it by hand. i would like to cut down on our time and product usage. we are using approx 15 50lbs bags and takes two pepole apprx 4 hrs to do this work . it is also a seasonal contract. thank you for any advice.
  2. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

if your using a regular walk behind spreader, i would recommend looking into an earth-way or buyers walk behind spreader. if you cant do that, try making the hole that the material flows through a bit larger using a dremel or something like that. only problem with cutting a bigger hole is that the door that restricts flow may not cover the bigger hole. not a huge deal if you dont mind a little bit of salt dropping out when its closed. hope this helps!
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

back up the truck hit the pulse button for a second it should cover that area no problem then move to the next one. i dont know what else you could use unless you had a 4 wheeler with a salter on it that can jump from one to another no problem. The 4 wheeler would be faster for sure.
  4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Condos have aspahlt walks?

After doing them for a few years you should already know the best way to salt them.

Here is what I see around here. Condo groups will go with the cheapest bids no matter who they are they only look at the $$$$ if you bid these condos and won then you where the lowest bid and maybe bit off alittle more than you can chew. 90% of the condos I have ever bid has had concrete drives and walks, better watch throwing rock salt on concrete because you can bet if the condo group is not paying for something then they will get the best.

This is only my opinion of the big condo groups.
  5. balky22

balky22 Junior Member

yeah those are some helpful ideas thanks guys . the four wheeler would be good can wright off my recreational rig.
  6. balky22

balky22 Junior Member

yeah everything is aspahlt thats why we are using the rock salt. we understand the issues with concrete. this wasn't a big deal before but we have been salting more and more due to our storms seem to come with snow then rain then the temps drop making it icy. so know that is is more frequent would liketo speed things up to get the crew onto other properties quicker.
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

8. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Just a thought:laughing: