1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting by hand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Dec 3, 2000.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Has any one spread salt on a property by driving around and having someone in the back of the truck throwing the salt out with a shovel? I have 2 accounts that need salting and the cheapest spreader here in Canada that I saw was $1600.00 It attaches to your trailer hitch. I don't know if I want to spend $1600.00 this year just for the 2 accounts.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My guess is that everyone here at one time or another has done that. If the accounts are not to big, then large rotary broadcast spreader will do a better job than by hand.
    Also consider that you will use alot less material with a spreader of some sort than by doing by hand, so you may save the price of the truck mounted spreader in material savings. Also you will become a one man show with a truck mounted spreader, so labor will decrease as well, not to mention that your back will be much happier as well.
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Look at the ones http://www.northerntool.com has they are under $900.00 US we have 2 2yard spreaders but before ran one of those tailgate spreaders for salt.
  4. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

When I first started out plowing for the first two years we spread all of our sand by hand. We never salted by hand but did spread sand/salt mix and it usually worked pretty good. If you go slow enough and throw a half moon shape pattern you should have no problem. The only problem I could see is that you may use more product than you would if you had a machine. We still spread sometimes by hand if we need to like last week a freezing rain storm came and we still had leaf boxes on two trucks and the big sander was not on yet so I had one guy come in and we did all of our places that needed it by hand, (thank god it was sunday) but sometimes you have to work with what you got and I would say you should have no problem spreading by hand to start out. Just My Two Cents
  5. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I mostly salt just sidewalks, but when I do have to salt driveways or small parking lots I use a cheap Agri-Fab(aprox. $100.00) broadcast spreader. That might get you by for this year. I think it would be faster and do a better job then by hand.
  6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I checked out those spreaders at northerntool.com. They have Hitch mount spreaders for 149.00 and a swing gate spreader for 199.99. Does anyone know how these work?
  7. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

pcs: I've checked out those spreaders before and it's my opinion that they would work fine; however, my concern would be how long they will last with alot of wear and tear.

I agree w/ Dino about getting a broadcaster. A couple of them will spread more material than by hand and will do it faster than you think. I think the main thing is have an efficient plan in effect; like keeping the material close to you and having a quick way to refill each time, etc.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

I belive they are for dry free flowing fertizer, check out there tailgate spreader look for the winter section orequipment do a search for tailgate spreaders or pickup spreader. They have a a 600lbs capacity for $749.00 they also have a low profile one for $859.00 and a CURTIS fast cast spreader for salt, sand/salt mix, de-icer or any free flowing material for $999.00. They also have walk behind spreader 50lbs capicity brand is Earthway for sidewalks cost $94.99. Those tailgate spreaders I listed above can be seen a Fisher, Myer, Diamond, and other sites do a search for tailgate spreaders on Yahoo and youll get alot of info.
  9. RB

RB Senior Member

PrizeLawn Bigfoot Broadcast Spreader

If you decide not to purchase a tailgate spreader I would highly recommend the PrizeLawn Bigfoot Broadcast spreader. Hands down it beats a Lesco, both for fert as well as salt. In fact, it is specifically made for spreading salt. I can over 100 lbs of bagged rock salt and walking at approx. 2mph it will spread 20 feet...and you only have to open it half way. Buy a deflector and it will spread 4 feet. Throw you Lesco away and get a PrizeLawn Bigfoot!

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I couldn't believe this when I heard it, but a contractor here has a two man crew on his condos, with a beater truck that they fill the box with bulk salt. Then one drives while the other uses a leaf blower to blow the salt off the back of the truck!
  11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I know EXACTLY who that is.

(I'm closer to that situation than I care to admit)

But, I'll tell you what, Tom, that guy makes $150,000+ per year snowplowing. That's net income claimed on his tax return. (the ones I saw - and he don't claim all of it.)

I'm certainly not a fan of the method, but I've learned so much from that guy I'm not going to knock it.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Now we know where that resourcefulness comes from Lazer!!
  13. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Now thats a neat way to spread salt.....but those numbers are nothing to shake a stick at....sounds like we can keep the BR-400 in service all year!
  14. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I got a good deal on a Buyers mini salt spreader last year, & didn't even use it. I still have less than 5 places that need salt when the ice comes.
    Go to local TSC or farm & fleet & buy an EARTHWAY spreader. They are the red-colored brand. I picked up one for $20, & it holds almost a 50lb. bag of salt. They do make a bigger one for 40-60 that'll hold a little more.
    I bought an Agri-fab push spreader for about $110, & the $#@&%@! wheels rusted shut after the first winter, & I washed it clean after each use. They only give you a 90 day warranty if you use it for salt, & that's why. It's a POS. My buddy bought one & same thing happened to him too.
    The earthway doesn't rust up, & spreads well.
    Of course, if you have big lots or many lots to salt this prob. will be like mowing 3 acres with a push mower.
    But for what I need, it's great. It paid for itself the 1st time I went out, & just used it the other night, 3 yrs. later. I do my salting out of our caravan; it fits in the back & I don't have to fire up my gas-guzzling 4x4 to run my route all the time.
    I'd even buy one just for sidewalks or for backup; heck, for 20 bucks how can you go wrong???