1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting billing question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vmj, Jan 29, 2010.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Just wondering how u deal with your billing of lots.. Say u are sanding a lot for $100 per sanding of entire lot. and u get there and all u sand is spots or just the back drive of lot, do u bill the $100. or adjust the price. Thanks,
  2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I adjust my price in proportion to what I actually did. My customers like it and I make sure it was worth my trip there.
  3. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thats what i have always done, Had a friend tell me today that he charges full since he had to go there, so i just wanted to throw it out there and see what others had to say.THANKS
  5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I try to think of it as if I were the customer. If I had someone come to salt my 300' driveway when need be for say $100 and only the first 50 feet needed salted. Would I be happy paying the full $100 even though only the 50' got salted? If I wasn't happy about it would I want him to salt again?

And some people do charge the full amount and get it. I have had some of these customers for 25 years? Keep them happy they will keep you coming back. JMO
  6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i salt what i did. gotta make it worth my time but i don't try and gouge customers either. usually i have a full lot salt price and a travel lane salt price which is like 25% cheaper providing i'm not re-doing all the walks.
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Whatever your contract states.... I make sure the customer knows up front If I have to sand/salt you will be billed at the contracted rate even if I only do half the lot....... People its our time that we have to be paid for! (and our liability for that icey spot we just salted so no one slips and falls).... DON'T SHORT CHANGE YOURSELVES!
  8. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

salt the whole lot and charge them like normal.salt heavier where the ice is and lighter where its bare. its your liability if someone falls in a part of the lot that you did not salt. think about explaining to your lawyer why if the lot had ice on it you only salted 25% of it. :)