1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by btravis7, Dec 29, 2013.

1. btravis7

btravis7 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Hello Everyone:waving:
    A commercial lot that I have been plowing for several years wants me to bid salting for them. They are supplying the salt. I plan on buying a v salter. What would be a good bid per hour for salting? thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why dog it by the hr,bid it per ton or appl.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Hourly, for salting?!?!

How big is this lot?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Figure out how long it will take to do the lot, and multiply that times what you need to break even and fuel, insurance, cost of equipment, labor, and add your profit. That will be your lucky number.

5. btravis7

btravis7 Junior Member
    from Indiana

The lot is similar to a Lowes or Home Depot. They supply the salt (which I assume its in bags because they probably get it at a discount). And they asked me for a bid by the hour. So I just have to figure my fuel, wear on tear on my truck and spreader, my time spreading and insurance.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

$100 per hour.....

And you aren't really putting bagged salt in a v box are you?

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

And hourly I have a two hour minimum.......

8. grandview

So what is the cost of wear and tear for an hr?

9. btravis7

btravis7 Junior Member
    from Indiana

It might not be bagged salt but I've never heard of a lowes or home depot having bulk salt so that's why im assuming its bagged. As far as wear and tear, salting this lot shouldn't take more than an hour. So maybe a 1/4 of fuel at the most.

10. grandview

1/4 gallon of gas I hope. And don't use their figure for salt cost,figure your salt cost plus time.

11. SnowGuy73

If that's the case buy a tailgate spreader like a Snowex 575 and use that... Cheaper up front investment plus it will take you longer. Which is good because you're paid by the hour!

12. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Lowe's and home depot don't supply their contractors with salt..........

13. grandview

sub of a sub

14. btravis7

btravis7 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Its a Menards. And their not the only lot I would be salting. They are just the only place supplying salt.

15. SnowGuy73

This makes sense now..... Menards has the worst looking parking lots around.

They don't know who is in charge, what they want or when they want it! All they know is it has to be cheap, low bid gets it!

This is the way it is at the couple around here, both summer and winter maintenance.

16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

What he said x2

17. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

I have never heard of this,

1) Bagged salt through a v box is going to be time to load, i did this one year and holy crap i found muscles that i didnt know i had.
    2) lowes lots on average use 2.5 tons that is a whole lot of bags
    3) If they are telling that they buying salt how are you going to get it during the middle if the night salt run

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013