1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting before plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sharpe992, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sharpe992

sharpe992 Junior Member
    from WV

I started a lawn and landscape maintenance business this year and of course the next progression was snow removal. Which brings me to my question. I live in a development where I don't have the snow removal contract, yet. I was watching the current contractor today and he went through the development salting first then came back through plowing then salted again. Is there a purpose for doing it that way and what is it? I have my ideas but I wanted to know for sure.

2. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

the only reason I would say is to melt the ice.

3. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Buy yourself some time

4. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Its called pretreating and it does buy you some time but more importantly it creates a layer of brine that stops the snow from binding to the surface so you can plow down to pavement easier when the traffic has packed it down. Sometimes salting is not necessary after you plow if you pretreat, depending on the conditions. Pretreating is very common and with the right conditions, say a light dry snow it can melt away what you would normally have to plow. Anti-icing is always easier and more effiecient than de-icing.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It allows use of less salt. It is mulch easier to prevent ice then to melt it. Even though the contractor treated twice he probably used less material then if he had waited until afterward and tried to melt any existing ice.

6. sharpe992

sharpe992 Junior Member
    from WV

This wasn't pretreating... I understand that... I thought it was to break up the packed snow. Which I believe one of you mentioned. Thanks to everyone who has replied

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Pretreating makes it a lot easier to scrape down to the pavement so it's bare. A lot of people in my area pretreat.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That would make sense if he hadn't pretreated and he was just a lot more material then if he'd pre-treated. It works best if you spray liquids as well runs though the holes the solids create and spread out beneath it breaking the bond.

9. sharpe992

sharpe992 Junior Member
    from WV

The municipality that I work at pretreats. They use brine and I understand how that works. This contractor was using salt and there was an inch or so of snow on the ground. Then after spreading the salt and less than 5 minutes time came back through then plowed. I probably should mention that it was also 18 degrees. When he finished plowing (had to make two passes because of road width), went through again putting down more salt. My initial assumtion was that he was using the salt first to break up the packed snow from vehicles that had been through before he got here. I posted thinking that there may have been a different reason.

10. sharpe992

sharpe992 Junior Member
    from WV

Again, I want to thank everyone who has offered up their answers.

11. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

wasting material

12. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Ya that was dumb. If you put salt down wait until you see it working for a bit , then plow it off. Looks like his was just loading up his invoice. Keep watching, you may be plowing there someday.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Seems like a waste of material. I can see pretreating the night before, but putting it down for 5 minutes then scraping it up makes no sense to me.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The way I have always seen it done is when there is a dusting you pretreat. The salt will melt down to the bottom and it doesn't get scraped off for the most part.

15. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

depending on temp & traffic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012