1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting Application Rates

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Troybaseball21, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Just wondering how the best way to price salt applications are. I use bagged salt and get it for about $4.50 a bag. How much do I mark it up and how much should I charge just to lay it down. I think the most I've every used on a lot was 10bags, and that was a big lot. Bags are 40 or 50lb bags. Any input would help.

2. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Just FYI I figured $15 a bag and that included the spreading of it. That is what I have previously been charging.

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

3 times the cost sounds good to me. I mark up my landscape materials 30%. I don't do salt, but if I did it would be by my labor rate x how long it takes to spread a bag. That would give me a base cost to charge per bag.

Lets say it takes 6 min to spread a bag and my labor rate is $100. That would be $10/bag labor + $4.75 x 30%=$5.85 or $15.85 per bag applied.

Someone got a more accurate time to spread 1 each, 50 pound bag of salt????

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I can spread 300 pounds in about 10 minutes, this includes the time to fill the hopper. If I had a larger hopper, I am sure the time line would be about the same ratio. 5 minutes to put 6 bags in, and 5 minutes to spread it.

5. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Thats about the same amount of time it takes me to spread 6 bags or so. My hopper will only hold a max of 300lbs. It's not a very big one, but it gets the job done...

6. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Aroound here what ever you charge to plow the lot is what you cahrge to salt the lot. But that is with bulk salt.

7. KustomKare

KustomKare Junior Member

My pricing for plowing starts out at $125 a hour and goes up every few inches and i charge $70 per hour to spread salt plus $27-$30 per 100 pounds of salt

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Those times are helpful. Thanks

9. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

$40 per 50lbs applied. Remember you are the buying, storing, and transporting,

10. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Charge by the pound. $.25 for example.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, we get 30 cents/lb. around here. $40 for 50# applied? That isn't going to happen around here. That would be like spreading gold. I couldn't IMAGINE going into a half acre parking lot and charging $360 to salt, or a lot approx. 100x100, and charging $160 just for salt.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That rate would be perfect if you are only spreading ONE BAG:dizzy:

13. cretebaby

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  14. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

WOW! how many customers put up with those rates???:eek:
    is that salt or calcium?

I charge $20 per 50lb bag of a calcium mix

15. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

i like .65

16. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

I charge $15 a bag plus my labor rate to load and spread it. However most of my lots I have a set price for a salting application.

17. cretebaby

So do I but then I like alot of things I dont get :D

18. letsgetplowed

letsgetplowed Junior Member

i just recently picked up an account where i was asked to lay salt out, and would be paid $55 per 50#bag. i would love to find a few more handfuls of those types of clients.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

And how many bags do you spread at this 1 job?

20. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If the 55 dollar per 50 pound bag deal is a chain store, fill us all in so we can make some of that sweet easy cash as well. I am sure there isn't one person that reads this post that would turn that kind of cash down.