1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting and shoveling in New York?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CNY LAKE EFFECT, Aug 26, 2010.

1. CNY LAKE EFFECT

CNY LAKE EFFECT Junior Member

Not sure if this is the right forum or not? I've been plowing for awhile now but this year I have been asked to bid a few apartment buildings and they want it quoted with and without shoveling the walks. Is there a general way to price walks? Not sure if I just estimate my time or go by the foot, not even sure what kind of number I would use to start with? I am also still struggling with pricing salt. I have a Downeaster for the bed of my one ton this year and am having a hell of a time pricing by the ton and how far a ton will cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

where in cny??? im from cny to

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

a good rule of thumb is 20 lbs per 1000 sf too spread it....... estimate how much you'll use based on the info I've given you. KNOW YOUR COSTS and add your profit margin to the end. If you do a search you'll see prices are all over the place when it comes to plowing and salting.

HIH
    Mike

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i can get you hooked up with a good bulk salt price, if you have an area to store bulk salt.

5. CNY LAKE EFFECT

CNY LAKE EFFECT Junior Member

Im from the Clay area, mostly plow in Northern Onondaga Southern Oswego county.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hell with the shovel you better have a snowblower for that area. What ever you figure out time wise ,double it!

7. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Redman, I'll take that quote for bulk. Delivered to 13901 or provide a location to pick up from. I've got my quote from Cargill straight out of the mine already, but wouldn't mind checking it. PM or post is fine.

CNY, your price will depend on your costs just like Mick said, but you gotta think about the cost of the plow truck sitting there while you're outside sweating if you don't have a separate sidewalk crew. You may be surprised how much a separate crew can shovel, blow, or push with a 4-wheeler, but you have to account for some slack/warm-up time and double your time estimates when snow is deep - makes a much bigger difference than it does for a plow truck (IMO).