1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting amount ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clncut, Mar 9, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I was requested to give a bid for a parking lot next year and they want salt put down. This is going to be my first year in salting and I just want to make sure I figured this correctly.

The lot is a total of 31,250 sq. ft. Now I know that it all depends on weather condtions on how much salt will be put down but on average after reading many posts here I figured it will take about 5.5 50# bags of rock salt to cover this area.

Are these figures close? :rolleyes:

2. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Salt amounts?

I do not know how you came up with that figure for salt. There are to many variables
    1. Temp of the ice: at 15F one lb of salt will melt 6.3 lbs of ice to water. At 30F one lb of salt will change 46.3 lbs of ice to water.

2. How thick will this ice or snow be? This changes. You might be trying to melt more snow and ice than you have bid for. If this is an ice storm and you have 2 inches of ice you use more salt than if you have 1/8 inch of ice on same lot.

Your amount of salt used will change with the conditions.

Last problem. In our state the law says if you change what mother nature put down you are liable. So you put down your 5.5 bags of salt. There is more ice than that salt can melt YOU ARE LIABLE. Don't put your self in a trick bag.

3. Foz

Foz Senior Member

You should figure salt at a minimum of 10 pounds of salt per 1,000 SF of lot under optimal conditions. As the temperatures fall, or during icing events, that figure could double. We usually give either a price per ton, or a price per salting. If giving a price per salting, advise the customer that under certain conditions you may need to "double salt" the lot.
  4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

I'm new to this, but I definately learned that what the last two posts said are correct. We got more Ice than snow this year. If I had bid my properties to include salt I would have been screwed. $14.95 per bag Commercial, $21.95 per bag Residential. No complaints so far.