1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting a horse track

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JD Dave, Nov 30, 2007.

1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yesterday morning I got a call from a guy who wanted me to salt his 1/2 mile race track. He said the guy that use to do it can't anymore and he needs around 7 tonne. So I put 7 tonne in the truck and went over to spread it. The track is a about 20 ft wide and as I said before 1/2 mile long. Well there was no way I could put 7 tonne down. I went around 3 times and put about 5 tonne on and out of good faith couldn't put the rest on because the track was already covered. It was something out of the ordinary so it was fun. I will take pics next time I go, it's a really nice farm.

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The pimlico race track here in maryland salts and drags their track around the clock.

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

a bit late, but for future, calcium chloride works best for dirt tracks. However, either is bad for horses feet.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's not dirt it's limestone and unless I can get it in bulk I'm not spreading it. They work the track everyday with 2 different tractors.

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I see.

I only know dirt tracks for thoroughbreds where you need to get the dirt loose and workable.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

that's definatly an odd job LOL

was they woried about the ice and horses falling or was it dust conrol?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They are thourough breds I think and yes they need the track loose. It's limestone screenings on the track to be exact. I just did what the owner wanted. Where do you plow in TO Mike?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Horse's falling. I gave the guy a great deal because I can spread it when I'm not busy.