1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting 4,105 ft. of sidewalks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by herbert02, Dec 26, 2013.

1. herbert02

herbert02 Member

How would you bid salting roughly 4,105ft x 3ft. of sidewalk? Would price vary using a drop spreader or throwing by hand? Also using $4.50 per 50 lb. bag rock salt, and salting under and inch of snow.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

$130 per app

I wouldn't spread by hand or a drop spreader, utv with spreader, walking a mile with a drop spreader would get old after the first storm.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

What about when its below 5 degrees?

4. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Has to be done with some type of push spreader. Some areas are too tight.

5. herbert02

herbert02 Member

When its cold we use robomelt. Which is about $7.50 a bag.

6. herbert02

herbert02 Member

How much salt you figuring for $130?

7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

How do you plan on carrying salt with you? If it were me I would use a spreader on the back of a quad. That way you can carry four or five extra bags of ice melt. If you get into a tight area salt by hand

8. herbert02

herbert02 Member

My drop will hold 160 lbs. at one time with zero wasting of salt. Using a quad for these walks is not economical. There are a lot of tight turns and areas where machinery would not fit in. Condo applications. Not to mention trailering it there and back.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

50 lbs per thousand

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sidewalk deicing

If you are going to use something like magnesium or calcium chloride for the sidewalks, I think you would be around 150 - 200 lbs of product plus labor. Pricing for us would be around $225.00 to apply product with no shoveling give or take a little based on the actual amount of product applied.

11. herbert02

herbert02 Member

How do you get your numbers? (which are fairly close to mine), and if you had a customer that wanted a one figure price per event (contract price) for salting these walks would you give any discount ant the end of the year if you didn't use the salt estimated on some of the events?

12. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

No, Will they pay you extra if you use more than planned?

13. herbert02

herbert02 Member

No but my price is for worst case senerio basically. So sometimes I don't even use half.

14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

how many times are you salting per event? what exactly is an "event?"

maybe come with a per application price. for 3/4 of a mile I would be much higher then 250 bucks. what are you getting per bag about 750 sq ft and at what temp?

at 750 sq ft per bag you are looking at 17 bags (I rounded up .3 bags) if material is costing aprox. take the 7.50 pricing with tax and delivery aprox 195. then how much is your labor/time/truck....then a fudge margin for when you need more or it takes more time....then profit? $300 and app seems about where I would be. then figure you are going to have at min. 2 aps per event.....

15. herbert02

herbert02 Member

I didn't mean to say event. My price is per app.

The most I have used so far this year was 350lbs. of rock salt one application, and at about 25 degrees, but most of the time its only around 200lbs. or so, sometimes less. The walks are also shoveled first if there is over an 3/4" of snow. Even though contract says remove at 2". I think its a waste to try and burn off that much snow. Would rather shovel and use less salt.

I think the reason I'm not using as much as I anticipated is because of this new drop spreader that is so precise with the way it drops material.

How much do you think I would use trying to melt over an inch?

16. fozzy

fozzy Member

What kind of salt spreader is it?

17. herbert02

herbert02 Member

SnowEx SD-95ss

18. fozzy

fozzy Member

Thank you. How many man hours are into that much sidewalk clearing? Are you using shovels or snow blowers?

19. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Between 1-2.5hrs. depending on amount/type of snow. Shovels if its under an inch. Snow blowers most of the time.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You do realize he asked about rock salt, right?