1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by doyles, Jan 14, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

if i buy a 4 yard downeaster salt speader part #dp-4008 can i put it in the back of a 1 ton regular cab daully pick up like a dodge ram
    thank you

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sure you can. Anything over 1 yard in the salter will probably put you legally over-weight though.

3. doyles

doyles Member

whats the biggest salter you whould suggest for a 1 ton truck and if i did whant the 4 yard what size truck whould you suggest f450,550
    thanks again

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Not sure what an F-350, 3500 dually payload would be, but I'm guessing a 2 yard would be max. 1 yard is roughly one ton. Give or take.

My C3500 HD has 16k plates. With all my equipment, I can haul roughly 3 tons. 16k is F-450 range also.

I'd go with an F-550. Some are 19k-22k on the gvwr and one I looked at was going to carry 5 tons naked and shade over 4 tons with plow and under-tailgate salter.

Or, you could go with a smaller Cab-Over style truck, as those are usually stripped anyways to maximize hauling capacity.

You also need to keep in mind too as to what other jobs the truck is going to do. With my 16k plates, I can tow my 10k equipment trailer, and combined I'm at 26k total weight which keeps me under CDL. That's part of the reason I opted for this truck.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. doyles

doyles Member

thank you for your insite you brought up some things i didn't even think about
    i think i will go with a f550 that way i'am not over loading the truck and dot will be happy