1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salters / warning lights ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by groundbreakers, Dec 11, 2007.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

ive seen a few plowing contractors put a strobe module on the back of there big V-Box spreaders .. but has anyone ever put one on a hitch mounted spreader ?? worth the extra warning or just overkill in the lighting department ??
  2. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Many tailgate spreaders are already wired for aux lighting.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

The way the most of these people drive in these events ever blinking light helps.:dizzy::salute:
  4. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

We've actualy never run anything other than the stock vehicle/plow lights and never had a problem.
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

last week on the back of a v-box i put 4 led's and an led flasher and wired it up to the clutch so when its salting there flashing:)

on the back of your's it could be easy enough just cut it in on the motor power, but if you use led's makesure you buy an led flasher, a normal one will not work

i'll post pics latter
  6. groundbreakers

ya i was thinkin about it ... tempted to buy a few TIR3's for the spreader frame .. just for extra warning especially for my salter on the back side ... i thought being yellow people would see .. but im not sure now LOL ..
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have a rear strobe on every one of my Meyers 36000 Tailgate Spreaders.

They are extremely usefull when you are backing out of a driveway into a street. It also keeps the idiots off your ass at a stoplight because they tend to get blinded if they pull up to close.

I welded a small bracket onto the salt spreader frame and just screwed the light onto it and wired it into my orerhead strobes, so when the overhead strobe bar comes on so does the strobe on the spreader.
  8. groundbreakers

yah im gonna do the same ... so they all turn on at once .. smart move
  9. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I have a meyer tailgate spreader to which I added an oval Maxima led strobe and two oval Maxima led red lights for tail tun and brake lights. Works great and just plug it into the trucks trailer plug.
  10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I am in the process of installing 2 LIN 3's on my Snowex. The lights were in the lower corners of my back window and were blocked when I installed the spreader. So I just relocated them onto the spreader. Wiring will be completed these weekend.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  11. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Looks good. Not sure how your wiring but 1 thing I did in the past: I used to have a Nissan Frontier with a hard tonneau cover. I wired up some under cover lights since when open the cover blocked my bed light. I just took a flat 4 connector and put 1 half on the truck side and the other on the Tonneau side, so I could have a quick disconnect when I needed to pull the cover. Worked great.
  12. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yea, I plan on running a 4 wire quick disconnect to connect the work lights power wire, LED power wire, and the grounds. Not sure how the angle is going to affect the lights. I guess I can always add one more LED in the center if I feel the need.
  13. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

this is what I did with my Buyers tailgate spreader I know It's not fancy but it works

buyers salter 001.jpg

buyers salter 001.jpg
  14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks good earl. tonight let me know how you did that!
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think you really only need a nice set on the top of your roof, why waste the money

the only reason that i could see it being cost effective, is if you had to back up into blind interesctions... then having the strobe , being the fist item around a blind corner might save your truck
  16. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

the only reason I did it because I almost backed into someone while I was backing out of a snow bank apparently people will follow you anywhere. And the i was the bad guy cause I got out of the truck and asked what they were thinking?
  17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Earl your never the bad guy, ur JC himself!:angel: