1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salters and Truck rust?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaySpring Services, Mar 31, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to be buying a salter this year. Im looking at the boss tailgate spreader or Buyers Salt dawg. How bad is my truck going to rust? I really dont want to salt, but its required where Im bidding.
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

keep it clean

Any rig will rust its all about cleaning it some of all the problems start with just leaving it sit over nite then ok just another day and so on. All my stuff gets cleaned after each event them pressure washed asap. Preping the rig before the season helps lots of paint or sealing any nicks or scrathes helps but it is a work truck and some rust from the chemicals does happin. But if you stay on it and clean paint and repaint and wash the under side with a good high pres washer it will be fine. Once you start with chemicals you will see the real profit.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully in that nice "garage" of yours you can wash your truck after each salting event. It is a double edge sword, you'll make more money, but you will also require more maintenance. I just replaced my tranny lines this fall from 2 seasons of salting! They were completely rotted. However I am not complaining because I was able to double my trips out this year (yeah from 1 to 2:D ) because of the salter.
  4. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

What about rust proofing the truck? will it help.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ever thought of putting it on one of your older trucks? i'm running mine one of the first trucks i bought, a 1991 f 350 2x4, after two years it is more rusty than it was but better than on a new truck.... the next salt truck i'm buying is going to be older yet, i'm looking for a late 80's f 700 ford, i'm going to mount it strait to the frame.
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

After every event I head over to the local self service car wahs and spray everything down with soap & water. Fater all is rinced off I park my rig in the garage to let it dry off. When it's all dry I spray it down with a garden sprayer full of veggie oil. It doesn't hurt the environment and helps keep the mechanicals all lubed up. I try not to spray the truck with the veggie oil. It won't hurt it but it does look nasty after a while.
  7. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Yeah I would just do what everybody else is telling you. WASH YOUR TRUCK AFTER EVERY TIME YOU GO OUT. Plus if you get the boss smarthitch 1100 tailgate spreader you can take it off faster than any other salter on the market. You gotta love the boss, "still the fastest, still the simplest"

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

One thing I forgot to mention... Keep all the electrical connections CLEAN and full of di-electric grease. That is the source of so many problems. Electrical connections corrode REALLY fast when exposed to salt.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Salt-a-way, and fluid film.
    And remember Buyers is about Cheap!!! Their solenoids barrels are thinner, resulting in increased instances in swelling from hydraulic shock, the fluid is more susceptible to hygroscopic inclusion (absorbing water) and freezing, and doesn't have the lubricants other include. The wiring products are often poorly assembled and I had more then one Meyer pump Failed right out of the box. Their snowplow claim to fame is cheaper knock-offs. They have their place, but keep your eyes wide open