1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salter wont run

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, I need help.

I just took my salter out from outdoor storage. Its a polycaster, Fisher.
    The chain is pretty rusted up.
    I put the unit on the truck, plugged it in & nothing happended. It doesnt spin at all.

When I press the ON button to make the unit run, I hear a jolt of energy going to the motor & I noticed that the chain jerks just a bit, but no steady moevement at all.

I just drenched the chain in fliud film in hopes that the rusted chain might be the cause of it not moving.

The motor on this unit was replaced under warranty just before the start of last winter. Its a stainless steel unit & I believe its a half hosepower. They said I should'nt have any problems for the next little while.

Any thoughts or ideas on getting this thing going ????

Thanks in advance.
  2. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Your chain links are probably rusted solid. You said it yourself that the motor jerks the chain but does'nt turn. Soak the chain with penetrating oil and use a screwdriver or prybar and move each link back and forth. It will take some time but should loosen up. Good luck!
  3. Sealer People

should I take the chain off & try to run the motor ?

If that doesnt work, what else ? I think a pully is seized.
  4. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Which chain is it? Spinner right? If yes, then yes you should take the chain off and soak it or buy a new one. They are relatively cheap.(Then soak your old one and keep it for a spare.)
  5. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

I am having the same problem with a gas snoway sander. I soaked all the chains today and hoping for the best. Did you have any luck?
  6. definatly sounds like your chain is rusted near solid i would do what speralandscape suggested and buy another and keep this as a spair. but first try running the motor without the chain connected to see if its the problem
  7. Sealer People

I took the chain off & broke a link doing that. It was solid with rust.

The motor runs fine with the chain off, everything just needs a good greasing, got the chain sitting in oil right now. Someone mentioned that I should have dipped it in gas for a few minutes before the oil.

Whats the best way to keep this from happening again next year ?
    Should I just drench the chain with grease throughout the summer months ?

On to the next issue; has anyone ever heard of aftermarket plow or wing extensions for a blizzard plow ?
  8. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I spray all my chains with chain lube normally a Ag product but it works good
  9. With new chains you need to wash them after every use. And then apply fluid film often to every part of the spreader.
  10. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

you are saying take off the chain the drives the spinner and clutch right? That might be my problem because that one seems pretty rusted.
  11. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Don't use grease on your chains! It will just make the sand and salt stick to it. Use a penetrating oil or all purpose lubricant after you wash it out each time and you should be all set. Spray it well at the end of the season.
  12. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Pro Wings by Buyers Products should fit I think.