1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter wiring question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mistel, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I have a 1990 f150 that I use to plow a few lots that are part of our family business. I bought a used Meyers mini salter this year and replaced the motor. I need to wire it up but have no plugs or haress at the rear. I need to know what would be a good way to wire it from scratch. I have got no wires or switches with it when I bought it. i'm not much of a mechanic so simplicity is best

Thanks

2. plowman

plowman Junior Member

GO TO YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS AND GET A TRAILER WIRE HARNESS KIT . FIND A LOCAL PLOW PARTS DEALER OR CATLOG AND GET A CONTROLER TO AJUST THE SPEEDS .USE TWO OF THE WIRES FROM THE KIT , THE CONTROLER WILL COME WITH WIRING DIAG.

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

GO TO WWW.ANGELOS-SUPPLIES.COM THEY HAVE THE WIRING HARNESS AND CONTROL BOX FOR IT. I GOT MINE FROM THEM AND WAS HAPPY WITH THEM. LOOK UNDER BUYERS MINI SANDER. BUYERS AND MEYERS ARE THE SAME. LOL

Last edited: Dec 18, 2002
  4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

whats all the yelling about?

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

plowman and WOODY367,

Lose the caps, it is considered yelling, It will save you a lot of grief.

Rick

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go to www.awdirect.com
    order 2 SM-9A plugs use those for the connections at the bumper
    Order the control box from one of the aforementioned places, and follow the directions from that kit
    Dino

7. Mistel

Mistel Member

Thanks for the advice. Whats happened so far is that I was trying to save few bucks so I bought the salter used for $250 but it needed a new motor. Paid $290 for new motor, but it also needed the auger, spreader and coupling, another $200. the speed control is over $200 so I dont want to buy one unless absolutely neccessary. I was thinking just an on off switch ($12) or a three position switch, low , medium, high. Considering a new one is $1800 Canadian I guess I am better off but its getting close :(

8. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

I have an older western salter and a buyers that I run off of a two way switch to power it and a trailer wiring hook up. The tricky part is you don't have any adjustment for the spread speed so you have to adjust your truck speed. I usually spread in 2nd gear and slow down in the areas that the salt needs to be thicker. Been running both salters for 4 years that way, works for me, couldn't see spending the extra $200.00 for all the controls. Good luck
    Joe