1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter..what makes sense??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Dec 30, 2000.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I just purchased a '90 ford 350 dump 4x4, manual. It has a 8.5 meyer but doesn't have a salter.

This truck will only plow a handful of commercial lots and I'll only spread about 1 ton per run. What kind of spreader make the most sense? Under the tailgate or a v?

I found a used under the tailgate buyers ($600), but I have a feeling that this type of spreader is better suited for roads and not small lots (30,000 sq. ft), I don't know though.

Does an under the tailgate spreader for a dump body work as well as a v box?

Also, if I'm missing anything in making my decision please let me know.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess an under-tailgate spreader would be a good bet for a dump. Although, I have no experience with them. A V-box would also work well, but I would think the under-tailgate one would take up less space when storing, and I'd guess it would cost a little less.

3. Dusty

Dusty Member

I am partial to the V type. Ease of operation and the additional weight when plowing are my reasons. Fill it once and you can do a lot of sanding/salting.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The nice thing about under the tailgate is that you can still use the dump box for hauling anything else you might need to--you don't tie up your truck. They do work very nice because you can really spread under cars good. We have one and a V-type, they both have their place.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've got three spreaders, an undertailgate on a 5 yd dump, a 1.4 yd vee box on a K2500 and a 10 cu. ft. poly hopper which is currently unemployed but will be riding the rear of an S-10 in the near future. If I could only have one, it would be the undertailgate on the dump truck. I'm not plowing with the 5 yd yet, but will have it plow equipped soon, which will save having to make two trips in some places. If I had a 1-ton sized dump truck that was plow equipped I would definately have an undertailg spreader on it. The central hydraulics to run the spreader are kinda pricey unless you use them to run everything else as well.
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

My vote is Under the tailgate. Unless you can easily unload your v-box.

7. RB

RB Senior Member

thanx guys. Geoff, you're right, I don't have the ability to unload the v easily.
  8. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Am I understanding Alan's post correctly that the only way to power an under tailgate spreader is with hydraulics??? If so, what does it cost to install the hydraulics, ballpark figure?

I am gong to need a V or dump for salt next year, so I want to plan ahead, explore options.
  9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

the last one i did was $4500.00 for hyd. a v box cost less i do like the under tailgate. shop around for price.
  10. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Holy sheesh! $4500??? I knew I wanted an electric V box spreader. :)
  11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, central hydraulics aren't cheap, but if you can do it yourself and have the time you can bring the cost down a bunch. Complete parts kits are available for under $2,000.
  12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Electric V boxes aren't cheap..

Checked with BurQip here about two weeks ago about a Smith Electric V Box.

Was quoted a price of $4,375. installed
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Jeff call American Truck Equip in NL CT
    860-439-0030 and ask for BOB, he is the owner. Tell him I referred you and see what he says about the smith unit.
  14. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I didn't think the electric spreaders were any more money. Would not make sense that you would pay more for an electric motor than gas engine.

Anyway, I see Northern Tool has a gas model with electric start and throttle control for under $3000. If I had to pay $1,000 more for a spreader with an electric motor, I would pass.

My guess is that if I want Electric, the dealer that installed my plow would have a more competitive price than $4,000.

Anyone run Honda engines on their spreaders? I don't really want the Briggs engine if I can avoid it. I would feel confident in a Honda. I wonder how long the Briggs would run properly. This is my basis for wanting electric. I'd hate to have a box full of salt that I had no way of spreading because my engine won't start! Anyone had this experience?
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The briggs engines are reliable,I dont love them either,but a honda OHV isnt necessary.The Briggs doesnt even get hot enough running a V-box to burn any oil.The most mine runs is 5 minutes at a time,a honda would never pay for itself.There are 10 yr old V-boxes out there with under 20 hrs on the engine,and they are used all winter.If it were on a mower,running in hot weather,the briggs would be no good,but in the cold its fine,it will probably outlast the V-box.As for the Buyers V-box in Northern,it is mild steel,i ithink the Smith is SS,big difference,smith is 200 lbs lighter too.If it were my dump truck I'd go with the undertailgate model,being able to use your dump doby all winter for snow removal or whatever is worth the extra money.I have seen electric under tailgate models-dont remember wher,but i know i seen one,dont know if would have the power to turn the auger as fast ss the hydro,but its much cheaper and simpler to install.Ill try to find it.