1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter Suggestion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Oct 16, 2004.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Hi guys.....I've got one full season of plowing under my belt with mostly residential. This year I've landed new commercial accounts (banks and doctors offices) and now I have some questions about what would be a good setup for salt application. I'm running a 95 Ram 2500 Long bed extended cab with blizzard 810 and also considering using the Polaris 600 sportsman with 5'0" plow to cut in the parts that the truck will be hard to get at. Now question 1. Will it be worth hauling the ATV or is it more hassle then what it's worth loading and unloading 2. You guys that are using them now, how do you transport them? Back of truck or trailer? I've got a gator ramp (telescoping ramp) installed on the tailgate so getting it on and off shouldn't be a problem except for the fact of my next question. 3.Salting, if you're using an atv and hauling it in the back of your truck, how do you guys salt? Do you just have a salter for the ATV only? I purchased the plow and a spreader for the polaris at the same time, but the spreader is meant for seed so it has to go back. If I get a spreader for the back of the truck, then how do you get the atv out? I know they make a swing away unit, but they have to be empty before they swing away. I need some feedback because I have to make a decision within the next few days. Thanks for the input.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have access to bulk salt then you need to buy a salter with a conveyor wheather it is tailgate or slide in. If you are only spreading bag salt then you can get a number of different tailgate salters. I don't use an atv but I would say that if you didn't have alot of work for it then it is more work then it is worth. If you have lots of work for it then you need to bring an operator for it or your truck is sitting while you are on the atv. If you had an operator for it then I would find a salter that the atv could use and use your truck to transport the salt.

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I pefer the larger vbox salters as opposed to the tailgate or hitch salters don't hold much salt and if you are slow on the switch you can waste alot of salt. (Personal problem at the end of the day.) We stopped using the tailgate variety on the smaller lots in favor of broadcast spreaders that we use for ice melt, not salt. Ice melt is more expensive but more effective and the cost of the broadcast speader in minimal. I look like an idiot running around the lot but it works for me. The vbox is definately the way to go for bigger lots. I also have a back person who only handles salt out off 2 ton dump which can be very cost effective and helps me with service end of the business in keeping my customers happy.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I went with the new boss smarthitch broadcast spreader. It's a little salty (no pun intended) but what a slick setup. It holds 700 lbs of salt. I even did the install myself. Great directions for the wiring and the salter comes already preassembled. You just back up to it, pull a spring loaded pin, hook up the wire and hit a button and it rises up and hooks up. It says it will lift it empty or full. It solves the problem of unloading the salter for those of you that need to get to your blower or atv in the back of the truck. I just can't wait to put it to work. So now I've got a blizzard plow on the front and a boss salter in the back. The best of both worlds I hope.