1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salter storage maintenance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chachi1984, Feb 28, 2016.

1. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

with the season winding down I wanted to know what maintenance you guys do to gas V box spreaders. The last 3 years I haven't done much, but always had to free parts up with wd40 in the fall.
    I want to make next fall a bit more easy and to do maintenance stuff to prevent stuff seizing up
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Pull the drag chain off. I used to keep mine in a container of waste oil over the summer. That's the big thing. I Replaced my bearings every year so I didn't care If they got trashed over the summer. Gas motor, I would probably put some sta-bil in the gas. run it for a bit, shut the gas off and then let it run till its out.
  3. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I'd run either marine Stable in it or Startron Enzyme treatment. I've been using Startron in all my seasonal equipment and it works great.
  4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Go to Lowe's and buy a jug of ethanol free gas and fill it up with that and let it run for a while. That's better than any stabilizer you can buy and I guarantee it will start right up.
    Pull the chain and clean it, store it in a barrel with diesel or oil.
    Grease everything. Any moving parts spray down with fluid film liberally.
    Sprockets, chains, anything that isn't stainless hit it hard.
    Put some mothballs around the engine and any wiring. Especially around the air filter this will help with mice.
    This will save you a lot of time in the fall and it will last many years
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I always took a big dobber and dunked it in used oil and ran the drag chain and soaked the links on the drag chain. Always stayed free and in the spring moved freely.

Fresh grease in all bearings.

Coat other moving parts with fluid film or used oil.

I chose to run the motors out of fuel.
  6. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

Grease all zerks/bearings. Fluid Film or oil augers or drag chains. Stabilizer in tanks, pack all connections with grease.