1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter only, no plow???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nextdoorlabor, Feb 19, 2006.

1. nextdoorlabor

nextdoorlabor Junior Member

Does anybody hire subcontractors with just a salter in the bed of their pickup and no plow? i'm guessing if they do the pay isnt as good, but im just interested if anybody does this. thanks

2. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I am somewhat curious about this too. I have a truck that I could use with just a salter but the mileage age and condition warrant me not to put a plow on it. I was wondering if it would be worth while to use that to salt if I had another truck that I would use for plowing.

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Not sure about pickups, would have to be a good sized company. But 1 tonne dumps and up, definitately.

And pay should be me the same for just salting as plowing. You are paid by the hour. And either way you need equipment and to be on call. So pay is generally the same.

That said, a lot of the big companies around here don't give great rates for their dumps simply because there are so many sitting idle all winter.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

a guy i know subs all of his salt out to a company and i think they have a couple trucks with just salters

5. capital

capital Senior Member

Salt Trucks

Regarding Salt trucks and rates. We Run 3 one ton dullys with v plows and two 2500hd chevys with v plows. Both pickups have the boss tail gate spreaders and they mainly do small parking lots. We run a total of 9 sub plow trucks. We have two chevy 4500 with v boxes that spread only salt after the crews finish a parking lot. The two salt trucks make more for us per hour than the plow trucks. We have a backup sub contractor who helps when snow is heavy or we are running behind. His rate is higher than the plow trucks and is well worth it. Their is a better profit margin in de icing parking lots than in pushing.