1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter on a trailer...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NJ Plowman, Mar 5, 2006.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

After reading RECON 12000's post on military snow and ice control, a few friends of mine started a discussion on trailer mounted salting units over lunch today. We kicked it around, but I mentioned I would throw it up on this board for a little discussion and see what all you professionals for all over the snowbelt had to say on the matter.

What are the PRO's and CON's of putting an 8 or 10 foot V-Box Salter on a trailer, say a 12 foot double axle 7000lb open landscape trailer? Is it feasable?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Our very first V box salter was mounted on a trailer. We jack-knifed it the first time out. You learn to slow down for the corners. It was good in the sense that any of the trucks could use it and you could put more weight in it. On the down side we only had it 6 weeks before it was stolen. It was not the easiest to drive when the roads were snow covered and it was hard to salt in tight corners but one big plus was you could take it to the site unhook and plow without the extra weight in your truck and then hook up and salt and go to the next location.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

having a v box on a trailer is the worst idea i have ever heard. you would have to put chains on all corners of truck and trailer. there would be no way to get into moderate tight places.
  4. Kosty

Kosty Member

thier a few companys here in rochester i see with trailers and stainless vboxs
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I agree... theres gotta be a better alternative to the trailer contraption
  6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I have towed a 16' utility trailer in the snow . Had to move a small tractor. I couldnt amagine towing a trailer during a storm again you wont catch me doing it. Like stated they tend to jackknife and i had problems stoping it. Not to mention the added size with a plow and trailer.
    Evan Davis
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

tow behind

In the town i use to live in had draw behind drop spreaders they used them for a few years then poof gone. Never saw them again or any where else they had to drag them behind the dumps but could fill them by just raising the bed but i guess they found that they did not work as expected.
  8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I've never salted with a trailer, but I've pulled enough of them on ice and snow to know that 1) it's very difficult to control regardless of the operator's skill. 2) you're going to waste a lot of time moving it to get a patterned spread - if you don't end up damaging your truck trying to do it & 3) mechanical maintenance on the trailer will be a pain. Stick to a truck and enjoy the profits.
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

might as well attach the plow to the trailer too. maybe to the front end. about the same concept.
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If your going to do it make the trailer long enough to hold one speading salt on the left, one spreading on the right and then one spreading on the rear:D