1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter motor locked up today...:-(

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eyesell, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

While using my buddies truck to salt today his 9 HP salter motor seized up, it a Buyers V Box.

Can someone recommend a place in South Eastern Mi that we can take this to, or a place that we can just buy a new engine, I think it's a B & S motor.

Thanks

2. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

J-Thomas stocks motors and they are in Novi.

Mike

4. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Are you sure the motor locked?? I had the drive chain, going from motor to the clutch on my Henderson, start to jump off the sprocket, jam and locked the motor. Do you have a belt or chain???

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Sorry to hijack but we also just had a motor go on our Buyers spreader too. Piece of crap Tecumseh. Anyone know if its possible to swap it out with a Honda?

6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

:laughing: Oh yes the good old days of gas engines that is 1 reason why we converted all of our gas "V" box spreaders to electric Thumbs Up

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I think that is definitely in the works for next season. Either that or we are switching to hydro. I'm tired of working on motors. :angry:

8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yes, thanks for rubbing it in....:rolleyes:
    We are definitely moving to electric next year.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

so the electric salters have no problems? hmmmm ok. and neither do hydraulic? :laughing:

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

So what is the best place online to find a replacement motor for a Buyers Spreader?

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well it appears it may not be as bad as we thought, pulled the motor and tore it apart. Guy says that it's repairable, appears the piston took a sh*t or something along that line. Info was given to my partner ( who owns the thing ), said it should be ready next week, cost $ 150.00 Thumbs Up