1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter lights

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kemmer, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Looking for some help hooking up lights to a wester gas spreader. any one have pictures of how they hooked it up. Is it self contained on the spreader or goes from the truck?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I install 3 lights on my spreaders.
    1 on each side of the spreader pointed down that light up the spreader pattern area, comes on with parking lights.
    Other one is mounted upper left back corner and comes on with reverse lights.
    Both sets are triggered via 7 pin trailer connector.
    Dino

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I wired a bright light to the reverse light wire so it comes on when I back up.
    Have a "toggle switch" light to see the spread pattern

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have one wired into the reverse circuit and one on the clutch for the spreader. this way it's only lit while spreading or backing up. Our under tailgate has two high mounted on a switch and one on the spinner, the spinner one we had wired into the spinner circuit, but it doesn't work out so well because the spinner speed is variable, and thus so is the light.

5. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

My last spreader I had 2 lights hooked up the the starter/alternator so when the motor was running the lights were one and when you turned the motor off lights went off. I liked it a lot. Real simple just get those rubber housed self grounding lights and mount where you want and run the power wires to the starter/alternator on the power side and your set.

6. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Sorry it took so long to post this. I put two sets of lights on the salter. The lower set I got from auto zone. The second set is from an off road store, I payed around $150.00. You can use the wires in the salter harness. I think there are 4 wires not used. Both sets of lights are on separate switches. I put the salter relay in the back by the salter engine so I could have battery power there. Then I got a relay from gm dealer that was in a waterproof case and a fuse holder. The lights point down both sides and out the back. The lights are so bright you could land a plane behind the truck!! :laughing:

lights back.jpg

lights.jpg

lights for salter.jpg

relay.jpg

7. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

You can use the blue or voilet wires in the existing harness that runs from your controller to the engine to run 1 or 2 circuits for lights . there is also a wire from the engine generator that you can use but it has a variable output which is handy for verifing that the engine has started on those cold nights when you have your windows up and at what speed it is running.

8. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

What brand of light did you use?

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hobbs Marine lights are in-expensive yet will last you they are made to be submurged in salt water!

10. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Rubber utility light from napa. They are cheap and work just fine. I mounted mine facing down just above the flow control lever which is wired to the motor output. Then I have 2 more on each side of the hitch mount plates under the bumper wired to a toggle switch. Been under there for 5 years and have never lost one yet do to breakage.