1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salter lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by traviswalker007, Nov 16, 2006.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Hey guys was just wondering before i do any more eletrical damage to my vehicle..lol, i got my buyers salt spreader on the back and want to hook up a light so when i turn my salter on the light will come on. Im thinking if i tap into the positive and ground i can use the control box for the on/off. will this work or pull to much juice from the spreader motor. Its a autozone utility light nothing very big, just dont want to rob the juice from my salt eletric motor on the salter..
  2. aus316

aus316 Member

I mounted 2 regular front flood lights on my frame and ran second switch simply because i tried runnin with new motor and wiring and seemed to wimp out so ran second power wire and seperate toggle (right next to my beacon light) a freind of mine mounted 2 as i did but 1 worked with spreader and the other worked when he went into reverse hopes this helps:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does your truck have a 4 or 7 pin trailer plug on the back? If so just mount your light on the spreader with a short harness and a trailer plug. Use the terminal thats for the running lights.Then when you install the spreader just "plug" the light harness in to the trailer plug. Running around with the light on isn't a problem as since you using it as a spreader light it will be pointing down toward the ground so it wont shine on the car behind you while traveling down the road and if you want to turn the light off just unplug it.I've been using this same setup for a couple of years now and it work's great.