1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter keeps tripping breaker!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cosgo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cosgo

cosgo Member

I got a great deal on a stainless spreader this year that had no motor or controller. I put a B&S motor on it, and bought a new Buyers in cab controller. Its the black one that has the nice rubber rocker switches on it and 10 amp breaker on the front panel. Last storm, it worked fine, then last night, everytime I turned the clutch on, it would run for 5-10 seconds and trip the breaker. I went through all wiring and found no problems. With clutch switch on, I measured voltage coming out of the Buyers controller and it was 12.5 volts, once I plugged the spreader in, it dropped to 7.4 volts. Its drawing the power at 2amps. I measured these same items on my other spreader and got 11 volts, and 4 amps.

Is my clutch going bad? I have no problems with it moving salt, does not stall or anything. Im stumped, and would rather not spend the $300 on a new clutch given the amount of work weve had this year (or lack of)

Any ideas?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Check your grounds ? Wiring can do some funky stuff it not grounded properly. Other than that I'm useless my salters are all Smith electrics so I don't know enough about the rest of the system.
  3. jcos

jcos Junior Member

I would say grounds, also might want to put the black plastic sleeve over the wires in case they have a short in them to keep them from touching metal
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

need to ck the air gap on the clutch. seems to me like its out of adj, and its drawing to many amps
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I would put an amp meter in line just before the breaker and monitor the draw. It it never draws above 5 amps or so, I'd be inlined to change the breaker. Also check for snow and ice build up on the unit, clutch adjustment, and all your connections. A loose or rusty connection can overdraw a circut.
  6. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

check grounds and we shrink tube all connections to try and make watertight good luck