1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter Installation - Passing Wire Harness Through Firewall

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Jan 2, 2015.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just purchased a Salt Dogg SHPE 3/4 yard spreader for my GM 2500hd. I'm looking for a way to pass the harness that goes to the spreader itself through the firewall, cleanly.

With that MONSTER plug on there, does anyone have suggestions? What are you using to seal it afterwards?

I looked around, and cannot imagine where it could go though..

To get the plow harness through the installer just shoved it through the large rubber boot that passes the trucks main harness through from the fuse box. I don't think theres room to pull that off with this beast of a plug though..

Any input is appreciated!

PS: Its a duramax incase that has an effect on where people are finding to put these through.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where are you putting the controller? There's other options instead of the firewall
  3. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

I had the same plug to run through firewall and put it through the large rubber boot . Cut it alittle and it fit. Was on a 2015 gm . Just sealed it up after . Couldnt find any other way . Also the wires dont come with much extra length. Looked on the upfitter website and thats where it said to run it .
  4. merrimacmill

from MA

Yea, I think I might just need to ram it through the main wire harness boot to the truck. Maybe right next to the Boss harness.

What did you seal it up with afterwards?
  5. merrimacmill

from MA

I want to put it in the center front floor area. I was going to build a small weighted base with rubber feet of some sort for it to rest on. I refuse to drill holes in the dash to mount that. I'll take it out in the off season.

I've gone through the floor behind the drivers seat in my reg cab dump truck years ago. Although being a gas spreader, the wire was much less significant than this one is...
  6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Lots of silicone. Mine had one hole there, used it for the plow controller , fit and worked great . I guess gm didnt think u would put a spreader in it as well . Also not sure what Buyers was thinking with the size of the plug. Was thinking about running through the rear cab vent but thought it would be more difficult to run the huge plug under the rubber floor . Ran it like that in the dump as well.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There's holes under the cab. Look underneath, you'll see plugs. That might be a better option
  8. boss2013

boss2013 Junior Member

My 2007 2500hd I was able to run it directly in the middle of the drivers side floor. There was a large rubber grommet there. In doing this you do have to take off some trim to get the carpet rolled up. From there I was able to run it straight over to the center console area.
  9. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

I run my snowex wiring threw the drivers side cab vent works well for us.

10. Malco

Malco Junior Member

You can take the plug off the harness. Just take your time and disassemble it by taking white divider clip off the rear of the plug, then u can use a thin pick and stick it into the center of each prong, gently pull the wire out the back. After removing all the wires you can then pass them thru a small (1/2-5/8) hole. Reassembly is just the reverse.
    We've done it many times without any trouble. It sounds intimidating but really it's not.
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

good idea ....make sure you take some pics before you start pulling wires
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if you'll be able to put the controller where I think you're planning on putting it. They don't give you much extra cord on the controller at all. Be sure and post pics of your setup after you're done, I'm curious to see it.
  13. Malco

Malco Junior Member

Sorry Harleyjeff I did not mean to attach to your post! Rookie mistake!

We find it convenient to come up thru the floor under the drivers seat. We drill (if there isn't a factory plug) a 5/8 inch hole that will accept a rubber grommet, run our wires thru and then seal it up with windshield urethane. We have also came thru the back of the cab before.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  14. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Use a hole saw to cut a hole large enough to fit a RV style plastic trailer plug, pull the guts out of it, and use the spring loaded door to keep the weather out during the summer. The narrow end can be cut off if the plug is larger.
  15. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

go to gmupfitter.com and find the info for your truck.

I ran mine throught the provided hole w boot. it was a snug fit, but it fit

2011 GMC 2500HD w/ boss plow and salt dogg V-box

All wiring for both through same hole. from the inside, its above and to the left of the brake peddle.
  16. merrimacmill

from MA

Update: I ended up taking apart the plug, creating a diagram prior to doing so, that way I was sure it went back together properly.

I then taped all the wires together tightly, and put it through the large rubber boot on the drivers side firewall. I didn't poke any holes in it, and just went to the side of it. Ended up working out great, and I have the plow controller harness, the spreader power supply harness, and the wiring the goes to the spreader itself all going through that area. This is great because I did not need to cut or drill any holes at all in the truck, which is awfully hard to do given what these trucks cost...
  17. Malco

Malco Junior Member

I totally agree with your last statement. I'm glad that method worked out well for you. Were you nervous? I was the first time.
  18. merrimacmill

from MA

Ehh I wasn't nervous about it. Just more or less like to do my research before tackling a project so I don't look back someday and wish I did it a different way.

I have enough experience in 12V wiring to feel comfortable with most anything, except most of my experience is with marine electrical from doing boat restoration. I like to bring all the "overkill" aspects of marine work to plow truck work though (tinned copper wire, soldered/shrink wrapped connections, etc..) due to the fact that they are both in a harsh salt environment. Not that there is any real "wiring" to be done when installing a spreader since its a prefab harness, I'm just saying more as a side note.