1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter inside dump insert?!?!?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BigBoyPlowin, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever put a Salt spreader inside of a Dump insert before...

I have am debating on it at the moment. Im about to buy another low pro liquid sprayer and would rather not take the insert out if i dont have to... Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have seen guys put v boxes in a dump insert, but why not get the salter for the back or just take it out. Plus you are adding unneeded weight to the truck.

3. BigBoyPlowin

I should of specified... Its a Liquid sprayer. We're 90% Liquid now.. I Dont need another rock spreader But i definitely agree with you. On my dump truck we have a Replacement tailgate spreaders NOT A big yellow Urinal.

Also I figured the extra weight should be good since its only a 2500HD.. Its going to be on commercial lots.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The extra weight isn't good it's bad. The liquid calcium I looked at was 14 lbs per gallon, if your insert weighs 600 lbs, that's an roughly 40 gallons you can't carry (legally).

5. BigBoyPlowin

Call me dumb but how would we be over-weight?

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You may and you may not - truck 6000lbs , plow? 750lbs, fuel-200lbs, you 185lbs,sprayer-250lbs? =7135 that leaves you with about 150 gals or so of liquid that you can carry.In the real world you'll just load it up and rock on!

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

And most sprayers are 200 gallons or more, I like to carry as much as I can....and be under the legal weight as quickly as posible ;)

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Forgot to add weight of dump insert, thay takes care of another 35 gals of liquid.

9. BigBoyPlowin

Think we'll be ok. The sprayer doesn't weigh that much. It will only be full right before we spray so ill always be under.... If not, I'll only be over for a short amount of time. I don't think we'll have a problem. DOT / weighmaster never stops you guys with vboxes who are peaked to the top (spreading more salt on the street than in their final destination!)