1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter Improvements?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AMTequipment, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AMTequipment

AMTequipment Junior Member

Looking to buy a salter, and need some suggestions and advice. If anybody has any, please let me know. Looks like salt dogg is my best pick at the moment, but I need some personal advice on other brands and models. I've got a Ram 3500 Dually and am going to be putting it in the bed. If you could improve your salter in any way, what would you do to it?
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If it doesnt come with one when you buy it, add a vibrator...single best thing you could do imo......
  3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

try doing a search up in the top right corner of the homepage .....plenty of info , pros and cons :nod:
  4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Well I love my Western Tornado Sander.
    Bought 3 years ago and no major issues -(the controller did die this year but western covered it and the new one fixed the problem.)
    I use magic salt and haven't had any problems with it sticking.
    And previously i used a salt/sand mix and never had any problems with it sticking.
    I put lights on the sander itself hardwired to a switch so If I need extra light I have it.
    The covers keep the product dry and there is a blast feature on the controller that boosts the speed of the conveyor and spinner to the max which is handy for those hard to reach spots.
    You should take a look at them they are worth it.
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have one of the first gen Western tornadoes, with the rubber conveyor. It handles everything, I wired a light right into the motor power cables, if the spreader is running so are the lights...pretty simple to do and no extra switch, just the spreader power.
    I've had a few minor issues but Western has been fantastic with their support.

I would love to see a power switch on the back of the unit for filling salt boxes off the conveyor, I could see it as a deadman switch as well in case someone were to get tangled in the the drive. A reverser would be an awesome idea, as well for clearing jams, maybe a window or interior light to show how much product is left in the hopper.
    **All these ideas are the intellectual property of Mr. Markus Maintenance but I will take a new spreader every 3 years in trade for them, or a modest retirement income....:D